Chapter 5

The smell of grass broke me from my trance. Carter is here to pick me up. My advanced senses have gotten better throughout the week, with training and my wolf making herself more at home, so to speak. I switch my shoes for my white wedges, the summer form of a heel, and hide away the necklace before running down the stairs to meet Carter at the door. "Hey babe." He greets me, kissing me quickly on the lips before I turn around to lock up, the rest of the foster kids where already at the pack house, enjoying the games. "You look amazing," Carter breathed, trying to contain his wolf. I turn around and take in his appearance. He was in dark jeans and a white button down American eagle shirt, perfectly showing off his muscles, as he knew I liked. "You don't look so bad yourself." I say with a smirk, before leaning up to kiss him again. He leads me to his blue car, which I have a habit of calling "Optimus" from Transformers, Carter's all time favorite movie that he has made me watch five times already.

Getting to the pack house, I grimace. It's nothing like what a pack house should be, with a stone white exterior and brand spanking new windows and door. A pack house should be less modern, it should be passed down from the generations of alphas and betas. Carter led me up the steps and into the stunning foyer, a shimmering gold chandelier hanging from the vaulted ceilings. Being pushed through the halls before I can find more wrong with the place, I am in a kitchen full with women, prepping trays or telling the kitchen help how to do it. They all turn to stare at our entrance. Great, I get to be the center of attention tonight.

I smile brightly as Carter's hand tightens on my waist. I turn to face Carter, "I guess I should help with the food. I'll see you outside a bit later ok?" I whisper hoping the onlooking eyes won't hear. "Don't take too long." He says back, pecking me on the lips before redundantly letting me go. I turn on my heels to find Mary standing in the middle of all the other women, eyes coming out of her head, just as everyone else's reaction. "Mary, what do you need help with?" I ask, walking toward her while the whispers begin. They all assume I'm just his toy. "Poor girl, she doesn't deserve this." Says one, another I hear is along the lines of "she's going to get her heart broken twice in five years, that's just too much." I just push it aside and hand the reigns to the Lakin so she can show off her pride, and help me through this situation.

Forty five minutes. It took me forty five minutes to finally get out of that dreaded kitchen. Any and all mothers pulled me away just to express their sympathies, it was crazy. I have never gotten this much attention before. I escaped their clutches, desperate to find Carter, who's mother had given me a simple, "I'm sorry for my sons behavior." before she walked out. I stepped onto the grand stone deck and gazed out to the sea of people. About 100 people are in this pack, so considering it a sea of people would be a understatement, it would be more like a pond instead of sea. My eyes spot my mate's figure amongst a few other guys and rushed over to him. I pushed two boys out of my way to enter the little circle that was formed. I am met with a few blonde teenagers, about 16-18, all three rubbing themselves over my mates body, in sync with the music that was playing. I froze, before I snapped. They where touching my mate. My mate. He is mine, I am the only one aloud to touch him. I felt the Lakin take over, and shifted into my proud, large, burnt red, wolf. The Lakin has returned.

I knew what happened the moment it did, but I wasn't in controls just sitting back and watching the show. My wolf stood in front of every pack member, proud of her power. Eyes stared at me and my protective stance in front of my mate. The alpha finally makes he's way through the crowd, looking down at me as his eyes widen with shock.

"Alert the Assembly, the Lakin is back!" The alpha shouted, running toward me. A growl escapes from my mouth, telling the alpha to back off. Of course he didn't. He shifted on spot, me snapping my teeth at the brown wolf standing in front of me, not a speck of alpha white on his coat. I lunch forward before he has a chance too, knocking him over and standing over him, trying to get him to summit. The Lakin genes in me tell me to not kill other wolves, it's a waste of talent. Instead of submitting to the Lakin and Alpha power I have flowing from me, he jumps up, snapping at me in the process. I knock him back down with my head, pressing onto his chest with my paw. He is under me yet again when his paw slashes out and slices my chest. I stumble back, the gashes in my chest being deep but already healing. Suddenly a dark, black wolf with one stripe of white on his nose, jumps in front of me, protective.

The wolf chases the alpha onto the beach, the alpha running with his tail between his legs. What are you doing you idiot? The Lakin asks, I now know I'm under control of her. People come chasing after me, me bolting from the house lawn onto the soft sand, after the black protective wolf. The burning sensation in my legs feels good as I continue down the beach, following the scent of my mate. I push it faster when I realize it was him going after his father, alpha blood or no alpha blood, he doesn't have that great odds against his father.

Wolves shift and follow behind me, all enforcers for the pack, all work for the revolutionists. I need to lose them, bringing them to where the alpha is will not help the cause. I change courses, going back to the foster home. I need to get out of town, and I need supplies for that. I jump into my open window, not sparing time to wonder why it was open till I come skidding to a stop in front of Carter, freshly phased, in a pair of jeans.