𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓣𝓱𝓻𝓮𝓮

𝓛𝓾𝓬𝓪 𝓟𝓞𝓥

I dove into the pool, the Change activating as the water came into contact with my skin. My tail swished gratefully through the water as I drifted towards the stone-patterned bottom. I stretched out onto the stones, the slight currents ruffling my hair fins. 

I let out a sigh of contentment, causing a stream of bubbles to drift towards the surface. Ercole had gotten the pool installed when I was young, to make sure I could practice my swimming abilities. The pool had become a sort of refuge for me, a place where I could escape the hustle and bustle of the base. 

The bottom of the pool was lined with stone slabs, and statues shaped like coral reefs were placed randomly, creating a sort of obstacle course. The water was saltwater, pumped directly from the bay. I couldn't stay in chlorine for more than a few minutes- it made me sick. I was incredibly grateful for the pool, and grateful that Ercole had gotten it installed. 

A pebble floated down to a stop in front of me, causing me to glance up. Sure enough, I could see Ercole's silhouette, waiting for me at the edge of the pool. I pushed off of the bottom of the pool, my legs and tail propelling me forward. I burst out of the water, doing a backwards flip before landing in front of Ercole. 

"You called, boss?" I asked, bowing my head slightly. Ercole chuckled, nodding. "Si, piccoletto. I came to give you some wonderful news. You remember the special assignment I told you about, yes?"

I nodded. Ever since I had gotten back to base after assassinating Benedetti, I had been itching for this assignment. Whenever a special mission went successfully, everyone was rewarded handsomely. I still had the dagger I had received from the last mission, when one of our men successfully assassinated an American politician. 

"Well, this special assignment has been simply a vision for a rather long time," Ercole said, breaking me out of my thoughts. "It was only recently that we received news that made this plan a reality."

"So, what is this assignment?" I asked. He paused, and I resisted the urge to shake him until he spit the news out. Ercole had always been painfully dramatic, especially when it came to big operations.

"You do know the Marcovaldo Fishing Company, correct?" he asked. I nodded, my hands clenching into fists. I hated all fishing companies with a burning passion. They were the reason I was an orphan. Please tell me we're blowing up one of their shipyards, I thought angrily.

"Well, it appears that old Signore Marcovaldo is stepping down from leading the company. He's passing on the position of power," he paused again for dramatic effect, "to his adopted son, Alberto Scorfano."

I snorted. "All due respect, boss, how is that important to this plan?" I asked. I couldn't care less about Alberto. All I knew about him is that he was adopted by Massimo Marcovaldo, was a skilled fisherman and, according to all the girls I had met, extremely cute.

Ercole grinned. "It's not the inheritance of the company that's important, piccoleto, it's what they're doing to celebrate it." He paused again, and I again resisted the urge to slap him.  "They're hosting a massive party to celebrate at the Marcovaldo Manor. People from all over are attending. And this isn't just any party. It's going to be a masquerade."

I cocked my head. Something interesting always happened at masquerades. "And the party helps us how?" I asked. Ercole sighed. "Think, piccoleto. The Marcovaldo family will be up in front of everyone- their estate open to the public. That will give us the chance to set up a distraction. Then, once everyone is panicking, you will have the perfect opportunity." 

"The perfect opportunity to kidnap Alberto." 

I stiffened, and I felt my jaw go slack. "Are you being serious?" I asked. Ercole shook his head with a wide smile. "As I said before, this plan has been simply a vision for a long time. But now, we have the ability to both gain a valuable hostage and instill a little fear in those petty commoners."

I thought about that for a few seconds. The Marcovaldo Fishing Company is the most profitable in Italy. Signore Marcovaldo would pay any price to get his son back, especially if he's going to be the one taking over the company. And that would be the perfect way to get revenge on the fishing industry. 

I grinned, my fangs glistening slightly. "I'm in, boss. When does this mission begin?" I asked. Ercole chuckled, then gestured to the changing rooms near the pool. "Get ready, then I'll tell you more on our way to my office." I nodded, then ducked quickly into a changing room. 

After I had finished drying off and changing into dry clothing, I walked out and stood by Ercole's side. He chuckled in approval, then gestured for me to follow him into base. I matched his pace as we walked through the halls, staying right by his side. 

"The party is scheduled for three days from now. That should give us plenty of time to gather the materials we require- an outfit, a ride, a ticket to attend." He paused and glanced over at me, looking me up and down. "I think that it would be safest for you to attend disguised as a woman. The less people know about the real you, the better." 

I repressed a sigh as I nodded. This wouldn't be the first time I had pretended to be a lady, but that didn't mean that I enjoyed doing it. Hopefully I get a decent dress, I thought. 

As we walked towards Ercole's office, people greeted us with nods or the occasional wave. I nodded back, but paused when my gaze landed on a group of young teenagers. They were staring at me, but quickly stopped and turned to whisper to each other when they saw I was looking at them. Newbies, I thought in annoyance. 

"Now, I think the easiest way to take him down would be to use a tranquilizer dart. I'll supply you with one dart, so you'll only have one shot. How's your aim?" Ercole asked, stopping. 

I didn't hesitate. I grabbed my waterproof gun out of it's holster, slid a dart in, and whirled around to and shot the tallest newbie, all within a matter of seconds. The newbie froze, feeling the dart in his neck, before his eyes rolled into the back of his head and he collapsed. Everyone in the hall froze, staring at me apprehensively. 

"I'd say my aim is good enough, sir," I said, sliding the gun back into it's holster. 

Ercole chuckled darkly, then continued walking. We continued in silence, leaving behind the newbie and his friends. He paused whenever he reached his office. "Be ready, piccoleto. The supplies required for this mission should show up in your room within two days. I want you fully prepared to attend the masquerade by then," he said before pushing open the door of his office and walking inside. 

I nodded obediently, thinking of all the possibilities for what lay ahead. I felt a wicked grin spread across my face, and I chuckled to myself. 

"Don't worry, boss," I said. "I'll always be ready."

1229 words

˜"*°•.˜"*°• •°*"˜.•°*"˜

Oh my gosh, guys, I haven't updated since last year! Crazy, right?

I hope you all had an amazing Christmas and New Year, and can't wait for this next year! (Imma be messing up dates for months lmao...)

Anyways, I am super excited for this story! But another thing... I'm making a Miraculous Ladybug next gen applyfic! I am super excited about that, so check it out once it comes out soon!

Ciao for now! See y'all soon!

-Abby