day five, pennsylvania

Start from the beginning

"what?" sam questioned, raising his hands in the air.

"nothing, nothing." kelly laughed before the crowd of family moved to into the kitchen to finally eat dinner.

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

"should we go pick some flowers?" sam asked in a soft tone. she nodded, getting up from their spot, the meadow still empty of people. they left their little picnic down where it was, forted down by rocks on each corner of the blanket. the wind wasn't strong enough to take the blanket if it had some weight to it and it would've been less annoying in the long run if they had just kept the sides down instead of constantly having to hold it down when seated on the blanket.

the flowers were a wide array of colors, ranging from the lightest of light colors to the darkest of dark. the two walked along the paths making their way to the sunflowers that lined the meadow.  jolyne watched as the bees swarmed the center of the flower, pollenating and moving around carelessly with each other. she was snapped out of the moment before her when she hear a shutter behind her, signaling that sam had taken a picture of her.

"sam, you gotta stop taking pictures of me when i'm not ready for it." they laughed together, jolyne reaching out to grab the camera from sam and quickly taking a picture of sam laughing.

"hey!" sam yelled through the laughter, the both of them leaning back, almost falling over at small moment that they had together. it was a moment that would've been something others would think to be so insignificant, but the pair thought it was so funny, probably cause they both knew they looked awful in their pictures.

after their walk around the meadow, they had noticed that the sitting area was now slowly filling and that they weren't the only people occupying the meadow, meaning it was probably heading towards early afternoon when kids are starting to get off school and come to the meadow to relax.

going back to the blanket, they started to clean everything up and go to the car. upon talking to sam a bit more about where they were in pennsylvania, she now knew she was somewhere near erie.

"maybe since we're having a chill day, we should just put our windows down and drive? we could go to pittsburgh and then maybe make our way over to the other side of pennsylvania?" jolyne asked sam, turning in his direction. he nodded, smiling a little before the pair walked back to the car with their belongings.

starting the car, sam plugged in his phone and handed in over to jolyne. she quizzingly looked over to him, reluctantly taking the phone into her hands.

"start the music up." he smiled, putting the car into drive and starting their three hour journey to pittsburgh, city of bridges. she looked down at the phone and started to type in a particular playlist that they would always play in the car and the first song that came on was 'enchanted' by taylor swift, a favorite of jolyne's.

she sang softly along to taylor's voice, slowly getting comfortable singing in front of sam. she had always been that way and sam knew that, so he didn't pay no mind to her...at least from what jolyne noticed, inside sam was mesmerized by her voice, as always. he tapped along to the music until the next song came on.

"jolene? you added jolene to this playlist?" jolyne asked sam, who's cheeks flushed. eyes never leaving the road, he nodded. a smiled crawled onto her lips, her cheeks turning a bright sort of red.