Bittersweet Rewards

Paladin Sharpshot felt like shit, knew he looked like shit but smelled like perfume. "At least I smell nice," he mumbled to himself. He groaned as the digital recorder in his head tried to improve his mood. "Why God why Marmalade?" With a sigh, he turned the cyber piece off. Better to suffer in silence than to Disco.

He always felt crappy after he crashed. Doc Hammer had promised he would be more alert, more focused, that Drive would keep him going as he searched for his younger brother Koji. It helped; he tracked down leads quicker without wasting time to sleep. Hammer hadn't said anything about the consequences though.

The drugs were taking their toll. His once black hair was white now from constant use. His features looked drawn and worn. It was hard to hide the crow's feet and premature aging. But worst was the shakes and spasms his body went through when he came down.

Paladin was beginning to hate how he couldn't function a day without this damn cocktail, but he loved its fatigue-ending powers.

His cell flashed twice and issued a subtle harp cord. It would not do to keep that call waiting. Snatching up the phone he pressed the visual display.

"Master," he said bowing. "You honor my home with your presence."

"Your master is pleased to impart a mundane task to his favored student."

"You honor me, Master." Paladin did not look up at the aged face. To do so was disrespectful and Paladin would never disrespect this man. "What is this task Master?"

"You are to retrieve a girl." The voice was silent for a moment. An indication to look up at the screen, Sharpshot saw a young black-haired girl of about nine. There was a soft beep signaling that the picture would be removed and for Paladin to avert his eyes. He did so. "Find her and bring her to my dojo, favored student."

"Hai."

The image beeped and the call ended replaced with a picture of the young girl again. He spent several moments examining her features. "Few years she might be pretty. That name though" Her name was so plain. Susan Smith. The dull ache started to vanish as he stared at the picture. He searched for the number of his money launderer. The yellow pages for criminals, Jenson could find something for a price. "Jenson can start the search while I go make myself look fabulous."

***

"Detective Johnson!" the lieutenant shouted. "Somebody get him in here ASAP!"

A few seconds later Detective Johnson strolled into the precinct ready to start his shift, an unlit cigarette hanging from the corner of his mouth and his normally clean-shaven face was pockmarked with patches of hair growth. The lanky detective looked like he'd seen better days.

As was his custom Johnson stopped by the front desk to check out the morning news. A member of the organized crime unit he had his hands more than filled with paperwork, but it never hurt to look into other reports in case they might lead to a larger pattern.

"Johnson," a rookie officer said trotting up to the detective. "Lieutenant Bogart said to find you and send you her way."

"Thanks," Johnson slapped the kid on the shoulder. "Now better get those copies over to your sergeant or he'll have you on parking meter duty for another month."

"Yeah... I know," the younger officer sighed. "I've been meter monitoring for so long I think I'm going to merge with the system."

"You get used to it," Johnson rubbed the jack behind his ear. "You've only been here half a year. Give it time."