07. FINALE

━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━

holding hands down the path of mondstadt, you sigh happily. months have passed. though these days, you've been busy, but having kaeya beside you today was the peace of your week. even having him here, nothing to tell you, you love it.

you love him.

"have anything on your mind?" he mentions, squeezing your hand. you look up at him, shaking your head. he turns away, simply enjoying the company that you're sharing together. "has work been fine? now that i'm retired from cavalry captain, i feel like there's nothing for me to do. at least i have you."

"you'll always have me, kaeya," you comment, squeezing his hand as well. "say, kaeya. when did you start liking me? since we have no topic to talk about, we might as well pop the question now."

"this will be humiliating, but," he sighs, pausing as he covers his face with his free hand. "i started liking you when you decided that my title would forever be yours. i guess it flattered me a bit, i mean, having competition. nobody's ever wanted to take my title, dare even fight me for it! you had such a strong soul, and i guess... it came naturally."

"i'm flattered," you say, kissing his cheek. he stops in place, your eyebrows raising in cheekiness. "i never knew the man that used to hate me so much for applying for his destined spot would accept the woman and accept the fate. how cute."

"i'm not cute," he comments, letting go of your hand as he crosses his arms. "besides, when did you start liking me?"

"when you told me that you wanted to be more than acquaintances with me," you mention, nodding as he raises an eyebrow. "i guess it interested me that someone liked me, you know? at first, i had to give it some thought. then, i had a tingly feeling. a feeling that told me that you were the one."

"oh," kaeya's taken aback, grabbing your hand again. you can't help but laugh at his reaction, watching him.

"what's the matter?"

"i thought it would've been farther back than that. i must've been a douche, huh?"

"hm..." he stops again, widening his eyes. you can't help but laugh. "what?! i'm joking!"

"you're so mean!" he complains, grabbing your face. "this is why cavalry captain applications are starting up again. that means that you better prove to jean and them you can still hold your title."

he kisses you feverishly, swiftly. you're speechless as he pulls away, his eyebrows raising in amusement at your face. "or i just might steal your title."

kissing you again, he runs off, leaving you with butterflies in your stomach. as you watch him, waving at you from the twenty-foot distance, your grin grows. you were happy to be more than friends with that boy, with that foolish fiend who seemed to irk you with every nerve he had. this time, it was love.

it would always be love.

"c'mon, y/n! training starts now!" your feet meet the ground once more, your laugh illuminating his ears as you chase after him. "this time, run twenty miles!"

"noooo~!"

end.