Chapter Three: "Empty Desire"

Start from the beginning

Jack's knees weakened at his words, forcing him to grip the counter to stay upright. The way he said those things to him made his heart pound faster. It was so stupid. He hadn't said anything that should have made him feel like this. Yet, his words filled him with a warmth and joy at doing something that a man like Mark loved. Swallowing, he felt the words roll off his tongue as he stared at him with a small overjoyed smile. "You'd really miss me...?" Mark chuckled, nodding as he said casually. "Of course. You're the only baker in Lupine. Where would I go for something sweet?" Jack's fingers dug into the counter from his nervous and eager jitters. Was Mark flirting with him or not? He couldn't tell. Unable to stop himself from asking, Jack uttered out cautiously. "Don't take this the wrong way... but I have never seen you in here before now. Why this sudden change? You don't even talk to me normally." Mark collected his order off the counter, replying to him in a brutally honest tone of voice. "Carolyn told me that you hired her to make you a dagger. She mentioned you were thinking of joining the Huntsmen. So, I figured... I'd come in and see the place before you either get yourself killed or close up for good."

Jack's heart dropped to the floor, and he lowered his gaze a bit as he felt the slight stab of his words. Mark made his way to the door, then turned to look at him to add out casually. "As for why we don't talk... Do you ever talk to anybody? Any time I see you. You're hiding in some corner in that red cloak of yours." Jack quickly turned back to the cookie shelf, stating over his shoulder a bit dryly now. "Thanks for coming. Have a good day." Jack tried to keep himself together. Why did his words hurt him so deeply? Locking his jaw, he inhaled deeply and told himself to focus on finding his grandmother. He didn't need anyone, except her. The bell to his door rang softly and he reluctantly looked over his shoulder to watch Mark leave. Instead, Carolyn nearly slammed into Mark as she stumbled inside. Her long dark hair was put up in pigtails and her face and arms were covered in soot from the forge. Realizing she had almost decked Mark with the door, she broke out into giggles as she said excitedly. "Oh good! I thought I had missed you. Hang on. I wanna tell you something." She closed the door, then stomped snow from her boots before excitedly telling Mark. "You will never guess what my father just told me!"

Jack rolled his eyes, turning back around to try and ignore them. Although, despite his best efforts, he listened and snuck peeks at them. Mark shrugged, asking with a chuckle. "What's going on?" Carolyn crossed her arms, telling Mark with a smug smile. "My father and your father were talking, and they couldn't help bringing up that... you're good with your hands... and so am I." Jack wanted to gag himself with a cookie. He had nothing against Carolyn, but she could be so cheesy and corny sometimes. Or was he just jealous that she'd seen how Mark would run his hands along his finished work with such love and pride in it. Jack found himself absently running his hand along the smooth shelf as he thought about it. Mark had helped his dad sand down and make all the shelves in his Granny's bakery. He'd even hired Mark to fix a few shelves that had broken not too long ago. He'd watched him gently blow the sawdust off the wood and run his fingers over it to make sure it was smooth to the touch. Wincing, Jack took a cookie and jammed it into his mouth to distract his stupid thoughts. Behind him, Mark asked her curiously. "So...? They want us to work on something together?" Carolyn laughed, blurting out. "My father thinks we'd be the perfect match. What do you think?"

Jack's felt like the cold from outside had cut right through him. He lost feeling and turned to look at Mark with a broken hearted expression. It wasn't fair. Why did he have to keep watching the things he loved drift farther from his reach? Mark stood in silence a moment, before politely telling her. "I'm not sure. I never thought about it..." Carolyn bit her lip, rocking on her heels before she removed a metal bracelet from her pocket and told him a bit shyly. "I understand. Give it some thought. But... here. I made you this." She slipped the metal bracelet around his wrist, telling him sweetly. "It's a copper bracelet. I'm told that it helps with aches and pains. I thought it might help with all the work you do." Mark looked over the bracelet, then smiled as he said to her. "Thank you. That's very thoughtful, Carolyn." Jack clenched his fists behind the counter, before forcing himself to unclench them. Mark's chocolate brown eyes rose to lock with Jack, forcing Jack to quickly turn his head away. His guilt and shame was clear as day on his face. Exhaling, he forced himself to retreat into the back room. Checking on his cookies that were in the oven, he reluctantly sat down on the floor before the oven. Staring at the closed iron door of the oven, Jack tried to keep himself from shaking apart.

Upon hearing the bell, Jack swallowed and bowed his head to run his hands through his hair. Shaking his head, he grumbled out to himself. "He's just a boy... I can do better. So, much better..." Sighing, Jack snatched another cookie of the cooling rack and nibbled on it as he shook flour from his hair. As the day wore on, Jack absorbed himself into his work. He prepped dough to make into things tomorrow and put the last of the baked goods on the cooling racks. Then he filled the delivery baskets to drop off to people on his way home. Covering the contents of the baskets with a small cloth to keep the stuff warm, he slipped on his cloak and closed up. He kept his head down and didn't focus on anything else around him. He'd traveled this same routine so much and so often that it just didn't hold his attention anymore. Approaching the first house, he knocked and handed them a basket. They thanked him and he caught a glimpse of their happy family excitedly getting ready for dinner together. It had been a long time since he was that excited with his own family. Swinging the last basket as he trudged through the snow, he started up the steps of the last house and stumbled when his attention went to Mark.

Sitting in the snow beside the house next door, Mark was looking at the metal bracelet between his raised knees with a distant look on his face. Jack quickly straightened himself off to deliver his basket, then quickly turned to leave. He made it off the steps of the porch, when Mark asked him in a drained voice. "Why do you were that thing...?" Jack inhaled deeply, counting to five before turning to answer as nicely as he could without sounding bitter. "Do you have a problem with how I dress now?" When Mark didn't look at him or say anything, Jack started to walk away. Only to stop after a step or two to exhale out in a more relaxed voice. "It was a gift from my granny. It's all I have from her... besides the bakery." Mark let a small smirk pull at his lips, then told him without looking at him. "I just can't tell if you want attention or not with a color like that." Jack huffed as he stuffed his hands into the cloak's pockets, retorting firmly. "Neither. It repels evil." Jack began to walk off, when Mark asked him. "How's that working out for you?" Glancing over his shoulder, Jack stated loudly. "You tell me. It's kept you away." He briefly saw Mark smile, before picking up his pace.

Making his way up the steps of his parents' house, he stomped the snow off his shoes and opened the door. Slipping in quickly to keep the warmth in, Jack pushed his hood back and said aloud. "I'm home." From the little table in the kitchen, his mom answered him casually. "Good. Come here and help me set the table. Dinner is almost done." Hanging up his cloak on the ladder that went up to his room, he slowly wandered into the kitchen. His eyes locking onto those of a man that he'd never seen before. The man wore dark clothes that hung loose on him and around his neck were silver necklaces with different emblems hanging from them. The man had a square jaw with a light scruffy beard and shoulder length dark hair with traces of silver from age. The man waved to him, cooing out. "Hello, Red. Have a good day... baking?" Jack clenched his jaw as he recognized his voice. Geralf Kruin. Taking plates to set on the table, Jack told him a bit flatly. "It puts food on the table. You don't see me inviting myself over for meals." Jack's mom smacked his arm, snapping out. "Jack! You apologize, right now!" Geralf waved a dismissive hand, chuckling out. "It's fine. I was teasing him. I don't know many... male bakers in these parts."

Jack narrowed his eyes on Geralf, while his mom cut in as she put drinks down. "I wanted him to be a stableman like his father... but he threw such a fit about it. I blame my mother-in-law for coddling him." Dropping into a seat, Jack reached for a glass, when Geralf snatched his wrist. Jack tensed but couldn't pull his hand from Geralf's firm grip. Geralf rubbed his finger along Jack's palm, telling him with a smug smile. "Smooth as a baby's ass. The ladies must adore your touch." Jack twisted his wrist free as Geralf relaxed his grip. Glaring at Geralf, he told him a bit sharply. "You don't need rough hands to handle yourself." Geralf smirked, picking up his cup with a smug expression that prompted Jack to blurt out. "I can prove it. Just let me join you on your hunt." To Be Continued...