Chapter Twenty-Two: The Transformation

ابدأ من البداية

"And I know we have something in common." She paused for the dramatic.

Ricky grew more confused, "I literally can't think of anything."

"We're the stars of our respective shows."

He nods, still confused, "Oh, okay."

"And you're just so good at being a leading man."

"You think so?" He blurts, trying to mask his confusion and discomfort.

"Everyone was so happy when you got the Beast. We all kinda felt bad for you when your girlfriend didn't support you." Fake pity laced her tone.

Ricky glances at me, I roll my eyes. Lily thought we were dating the day that she met us, so we both know she is talking about me.

"You're a natural leader, Ricky. I just wasn't raised like you. My mom always says, if I'm not adding followers, I'm not adding value."

At this point, I couldn't hold back my laugh. I put my hand over my face, shutting my eyes in amusement because Ricky is falling for her act.

"Oh, that sounds hard."

Lily went on to say how she isn't well liked at North High, then Ricky suggested the golden rule: treating people how you want to be treated.

Lily ended the call with, "You're a good soul. Hug emoji, okay?"

"I got it." a puzzled Ricky concludes.

The moment he hangs up, I burst out laughing.

"You're a good soul." I mock her.

"Was that weird?" Ricky questions, with narrowed eyes in confusion.

"Hug emoji?!" I repeat, dumbfounded while laughing.

Ricky huffs a laugh, smiling and nodding in amusement over how entertained I am over this.

"I can't.." I playfully mutter, stepping away to leave.

He took the hint, a bit taken aback while nodding in acknowledgment. As Ricky walked away, from the corner of my eye, I saw him turn his head to look back at me as I turned my back. 

************************
After school, Carlos urges the drama club to meet at Slices.

"There you are!" EJ announces Carlos' long-awaited arrival.

"We all got your text." Gina pressed.

"You guys," a stressed Carlos starts, "Mother is freaking out. It's about the Menkies. Is everyone sitting down?" He dramatically questions.

We all look at each other, puzzled, because everyone is standing up.

"No." EJ blurts, in a 'duh' tone, while Big Red sits down.

"We can't win." Carlos blurts, causing confused chatter to fill the silence when he paused for the dramatic.

"Listen, there's math involved." He continues.

I huff a sarcastic laugh, "Count me out then." Only Seb heard, he lightly chuckled.

"If we don't sweep the technical achievement awards, we don't have a chance. And, no offense, Ricky, but..." Carlos let the silence speak for itself, causing the attention to fall on a confused Ricky.

Realization dawns on him, "Oh, is this about the transformation? 'Cause I can throw that mask at someone other than Natalie." He blurts, pointing at her.

"You haven't yet." Natalie chimes in, standing next to me.

"I hate to say this, you guys. I mean, I know we all had a good time over spring break." Carlos trails.