26 - Hurt

♕𝙽𝚒𝚌𝚔♕

I find it harder and harder to function without her.

The stupid clock behind me somehow gets louder, the email I'm reading gets longer, and my eyes get heavier.

"I knew you'd still be here."

I immediately look at the door. She smiles at me and walks in, shutting the door behind her.

Holy shit, it's like she knows I'm thinking about her.

That's kind of scary.

"Hey." I greet. Maeve waves at me and walks towards my desk. I lean back in my seat.

"Still being the workaholic you are?" Maeve asks as she leans up against the side of my desk.

"I'm not a workaholic." I insist.

Maeve laughs. "It's not that bad of a thing, Nick. One of the things I love about you." She hums as she shrugs.

"Yeah?"

"Mhm," Maeve smiles and pushes off my desk, she walks a little further and comes over to stand next to me. I turn my chair a little to look up at her.

"It's already ten. Almost eleven. I'll be done soon." I tell her.

"Yeah, I know you will."

"So...do you need something?" I can't help but ask. I try to make it sound better so she won't take it the wrong way.

"No." Maeve calmly says. "Just wanted to come hang out." She laughs. She looks at my desk, her eyes scanning all the different decorations she put on it. She picks up the picture frame. "This is a good picture." Maeve notes. "Though, I think I like the one where you're smiling better." Maeve smiles at me.

"I don't." I huff. Maeve laughs. She puts one hand on my shoulder and sits on my lap, her back against my chest. "What are you—"

"This," Maeve cuts me off and points to the picture, she points to me. "is you."

"..It is." I slowly agree. I allow my hand to rest on her hip. "What—"

"And you..are probably the meanest guy I've ever met." Maeve cuts me off again. "You glare at me and you don't even realize that you've hurt my feelings until I tell you and you scare boys who like me away."

"Where are you going with this?" I nervously question. Maeve looks away from the picture and at me. She smiles. Why is she smiling, what is she talking about, and why is she on my lap right now?

"But you also open my doors for me, you give me your jacket when I'm cold, you call me 'sweetheart' when you're tired, and you squeeze me a little too much in your sleep." Maeve pauses and she smiles at me. "You tell me I'm beautiful and you even let me take your clothes. Including your favorite robe."

"..What are you getting at here, Maeve?" I question. She's kind of starting to worry me here.

Maeve hesitates and stares at me for a moment. "You like me." She eventually says.

God fucking damn it.

"Wasn't hard to figure out then, huh?" I sigh. Maeve smiles a little and shakes her head. "Fuck," I breathe. "So, are you angry with me?"

"Angry with you?" Maeve repeats. I nod and Maeve looks off to the side as she thinks. Eventually, she sets the picture back down on my desk and moves so she's sitting fully on my lap, she's facing me now. She wraps her arms around the back of my neck and smiles down at me. "No. No, I'm not." Maeve decides.