That made even me smile in amusement. "What an honour" I pointed out. 

He raised a brow. "One I can live without, I doubt I am cut out for such kind of work"

"Maybe you are lucky" I told him more glumly. "You may stay away from all this warring. You're spared all the hours of war"

That unnerved him. "I am not afraid of battle" he told me sternly. "And you don't have to go either. Which is entirely the point I have been trying to make here" 

Of course he didn't understand. None of them did. How could they? How could I even start to explain what I knew and what purpose I felt I had in all this? I only hope that one day it would become clear. To them as well as to me.

As the host rode out of the castle I pulled my new cloak tighter around myself, feeling the cold wind sting my cheeks. It was a thing of beauty and probably the most magnificent cloak I had ever owned. Another gift from Lord Willas, which he had Elyn present to me when I was packing what little else I had. 

"My grandmother had it in the making since you arrived at Highgarden" he informed me as I let the fine craftsmanship run through my fingers. "It would have been your wedding cloak" he added thoughtfully. 

I stared at the fine embroidering and the grey fur. "I cannot accept this" I decided. It felt wrong. 

He gave a small chuckle. "Well i have no need for it" he pointed out. "And it would be a shame to leave such fine work go to waste" I looked down at the fabric again. "Try it on at least" he urged, gesturing for Elyn to help me. 

It was a thick winter cloak, made of heavy grey wool, with grey first covering the shoulders and the collar. It was secured by leather straps that lay across the chest, very much as the northerners would wear it. The hem was embroidered with a row of deep blue winter roses, while delicate snowflakes were speckled all across the grey fabric, closer together towards the bottom and further apart at the top.

"Take it as a parting gift" he offered. "Something to remember your time here by"

I was certain I would not need any help in doing so, but seeing the cloak on me in its full glory and feeling how warm it was, I felt far less inclined to reject the offer. It was some small constellation for losing my amber necklace. It had not been in the bedside table when I returned and I feared that it had fallen into the Lannisters' thieving hands when they stripped the castle of all the gold.

It was another grey morning, with frost covering the meadows around the castle. The breath if the horses and men steamed and even though the Unsullied bravely faced the cold and tried to remain stoic and strong, I could see them shiver in their armour. It made me worry for when they would have to go north. Would they even survive a true winter? If we ever went north that was. 

I found myself looking back at the castle. The large white walls, rising above each other as the Mander passed in front of it. Although my heart felt heavy, I was also excited. Excited to finally leave and feeling determined to try and do something with myself and my ability. Help in any way I could.

"It is not too late to turn back my Lady" Lord Tyrion offered as he rode beside me in his special-made saddle. "You may feel like it is necessary, but you really don't have to accompany us, Lady Carliene"

I turned back and gazed ahead, straightening proudly. "Actually I disagree my Lord"

He had a little more trouble controlling his own horse, pulling at the reigns to keep it close to Tansy. "Lord Willas is a good and generous man, you could have been happy here"

Happiness is not what I am after. "Not until this war is over" I told him. "My happiness would not mean much if so many others still live in misery" I pat the grey mares neck. I was glad to still have her, she filled me with a sense of familiarity and comfort which also gave me confidence. Although Willas and Ser Vortimer had been understandable reluctant to let me have her as my mount, but somehow I was able to convince them both that what happened with the knight was an accident and that I was certain she wasn't a dangerous horse.