Chapter 2: Meeting The Man

Artwork by Sarah Abbott

https://sarah-abbott.co.uk/Plants-1

The truth is, despite their complaints and their suspicion, they've all noticed that Giorno is changing—and for the better.

It's such an obvious change from his past behavior. In the past, when they first met him, only a few months ago, wasn't he so stiff and focused? He had emoted all human feelings, of course, but it had always felt like a persona than a real person: a shield, in order to push forward and get to the end of his resolve.

And he'd stayed that way, even beyond the death of Diavolo and his ascension to being the Don.

Stiff. Resolved. Focused. Friendly—but always like he was forcing away a part of himself.

They'd begun thinking that he was just Like That. That he'd be like this until his last days, that they'd never be able to break through.

And then—

Ever since that Gala...

He's been relaxing. Ever so slowly, of course.

But he smiles. He laughs. He frowns. He even makes small, unconscious noises of delight, when playing whatever stupid game with Narancia and Mista.

They shouldn't be drawing links between events that could as well be completely coincidental, but it's hard to separate Capo Alberto's arrival in Giorno's life with his recent change in attitude and behavior.

Just what is the nature of the relationship between Giorno and Capo Alberto?

As the "responsible adults of this group" (Narancia's words), both Bucciarati and Abbacchio try to address the issue directly, once.

And by "directly," they mean "asking Polnareff if he's seen anything suspicious behind Giorno's back."

Polnareff, despite being so small, somehow manages to give them the driest, most deadpan look they've ever been on the receiving end of. He crosses his arms, leaning on the shell of the tortoise. "Instead of asking me, why don't you go directly to Giorno?"

"...He might not realize it himself," Bucciarati reasons.

"He'll lie," Abbacchio answers at the same time.

Bucciarati sighs. "He doesn't lie to me," he says, which only manages to make Abbacchio roll his eyes. "Can you answer us?"

"Of course I can..." Polnareff sighs, cupping his cheek. "But you're making a big deal out of—well, alright. It's something. Just, not what you're imagining—you're imagining something gross, right?"

They both nod, rather sheepishly so.

"None of that. It's not my place to tell, though. Although... Bucciarati! Abbacchio!" He calls sharply, in the one of a supervisor, making them unconsciously straighten. "I'm disappointed in you! Isn't Giorno your Don? You must believe in him! Despite his young age, Giorno is experienced. Even if you have your doubts, you must talk with him! He needs you by his side—not conspiring behind his back."

"We weren't—"

"I know. Giorno knows, as well, but he's starting to worry." His face softens with a smile. "To answer your question, Capo Alberto is a regular mafioso. He doesn't have a Stand. Go ask Giorno, instead of worrying needlessly."

"...Thank you, Polnareff. We'll make sure to follow your advice," Bucciarati answers. He feels like a child who's just been scolded.

Abbacchio must be feeling the same, because despite the annoyed noise he makes, he nods along.