Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

He glanced up and our eyes connected, his bright smile gracing his features before he headed towards our table. I watched him, my own smile wider than I could remember it ever being as he took a seat beside us.

''How's your meal? You look like you haven't eaten in days.'' He chuckled, smiling too at Rose who looked extremely content.

''It's great, this place is amazing.'' I couldn't help but feel elated every time I saw my father, the memories of my childhood racing through my mind.

''I'm glad that you feel comfortable here already. You're ready to help with the cause, I hope?'' His question was unexpected; I didn't think he would ask us so soon. But, I didn't think anything of it, writing it off as my father being passionate about his work.

''Oh, we're ready.'' Rose stated, a sadistic smile on her face, ''Can't wait to bring the fight to those damn vampires.''

My dad laughed with her and I joined in, lost in the moment, ''Great! You can get started training with the others in the morning. I assume that your friends will also be there?'' He was referring to the boys, and I honestly didn't know how to answer him.

''I think so.'' I muttered, wondering how Aiden and Josh would react to training in order to fit in. For me and Rose it would be no problem, as it was obvious both of us would be keen to join the cause had we come here under our own terms.

''Well, you bring them along in the morning. Training takes place outside in the woods. I'm sure you'll make lots of friends among the ranks of teenagers.'' He gave me a one-armed hug and I leant into his chest, ''I don't know how fate brought us together again, but I'm very thankful.'' He whispered into my ear before pulling away.

''It's a miracle.'' I murmured back, completely believing my own words.

''Now, don't think that the training tomorrow will be easy. The others are already ahead of you, and the course will not slow for you two to catch up.'' His face had turned serious, all traces of humour and happiness gone.

''Rose will be better than me, she already knows some moves.'' I tried to lighten the mood and nodded towards Rose who smiled brightly.

''I'm not the best, but I'm sure that I could give Violet a few pointers to start her off.'' Rose offered, taking a bite from the apple in her hand.

''That sounds like a good start.'' He nodded, pushing away from the table, ''I must go and speak with the others. We have big plans ahead of us.'' His words were ominous, and I was grateful that neither Aiden nor Josh had heard them. A big part of me was eager to protect and work with the rebels, the only thing stopping me being the constant threat from the High Royals.

My father left without another word and I fiddled with the food on my plate, my appetite vanished, as Rose finished her food, ''We should probably turn in for the night. I can't wait to get a proper night's sleep.'' I quickly agreed, excited to finally rest my eyes and sore muscles.

We hurried to throw away our plates and my leftover food, before heading back to our room. It took a while for us to navigate the many dark corridors, but we finally managed to find our room number and burst through the door. Rose headed straight towards the toiletries, picking them up and telling me she was heading to the bathroom. We had passed the communal toilets and showers on our way to and from the canteen, and Rose had expressed her anticipation for a hot shower and soap.

I on the other hand, quickly changed into some loose clothing provided by the rebels, and jumped into bed. Snuggling under the covers, I closed my eyes tight and tried to force myself into a slumber. My thoughts raced through my mind, the doubts behind serving the vampires or rebels at the forefront.