𝟬𝟰. tread lightly

CHAPTER FOUR
you carry the same kind of temper too

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐓he hospital looked the same as it did the last time Raegan came over, which honestly was just a day ago. Now, she was back, in the middle of the afternoon, with only her school backpack and a brown paper bag in her arms. Fruits peeked out from the bag, apples, oranges, grapes━if she could, she would've probably ended up buying every edible fruit in the world.

    Her footsteps were light and there was a tiny warm smile on her face that greeted every kind nurse on her way. Even her heart was racing a little. Probably from joy and some excitement. It wasn't even a few weeks and she already missed him.

    "Hello, my love," Raegan said, faking a British accent as she entered his hospital room.

    She peeked behind the paper bag and found her boyfriend smiling at her from ear to ear, his cheeks popping and the corner of his eyes crinkling. Yet even from the way he smiled, there was something lost in his eyes. Like hidden troubles. A heaviness. Or unspoken regrets.

     "Hey, babe," Miguel said softly, closing his eyes as she left a kiss on his forehead that never fails to make his heart warm. He looked over to the paper bag she placed on the table. "What are those?"

    "Oh, I got you some fruits." She plucked one beautifully ripe apple from the bag and offered it to him. "Thought you'd like some."

    Miguel took it from her and realized something. "You had time to buy these for me?"

    "You know I always have time for you, Miggy."

     "I do, too, but right now..." He gestured to his state, chuckling weakly. "I'm kind of incapacitated."

     Raegan sat beside him, the latter scooting over to give her space. She slipped her hand around his arm, holding him dearly, and placed her head against his shoulder. Then she whispered, "I missed you."

     "I know." He pressed a light kiss on her hair. Then smiled faintly, trying to hide the fact that he was frustrated, even scared, that there was a possibility he could not walk again. "I'll be out here before you know it."

     "You better."

     "I will."

     Raegan had lunch with Miguel at the hospital, accompanying him until it was time for her to go, and by the time she got back to school - something had already gone wrong. By wrong, as in Samantha and their friends had already cooked up another reason for bad blood. I mean, they already have that, but apparently, Hawk just had to provoke them earlier at lunch when she was gone.

     And here she thought their little encounter would get through their thick little heads.

     "I wish we could do something about those cretins."

     "We can."

     Raegan slammed her foot on the bleachers in the field and looked at her sister incredulously. "We can?"

    "Oh━Raegan. " Demetri almost choked when she appeared and masked his surprise with a nervous laugh. "Hello? You're here."

     "Yeah, I am here," Raegan said then frowned at Samantha. "And how are you even going to do that?"

     "Yes, and Counselor Blatt will give us detention just for breathing near them," Demetri said, tying his running shoes. Most of them were dressed in their P. E. clothes since it was time for that.