Chapter 14

"Meet a guy?" he asked a bit amused.
"I mean technically yeah, short-lived though. Turns out that ya shouldn't kiss guys ya jus' met."

"Oh so that's what ya do when ya ain't with me huh, kiss strangers?" he teased.
"What, jealous?"
"Nah, just judgmental," he joked.

We both laughed

"What about you, Mo? Got yerself a girl?" I internally hoped that the answer would be no.

"And what if I do?" he inquired.
"Well do ya?"

He paused to leave me in suspense before breaking into a smile.
"Nah, no one has really caught my attention recently."

I felt sort of relieved when he said that. Like sure, maybe I haven't caught his attention but at least no one else has. Is that selfish?

"I'm sure das a shame for tha many girls who wanna be wit' you."
"Eh, that list isn't too long."
"You're underestimatin' your potential."

The lights dimmed and the show began. It was incredible. It'd been a while since the last performance I've watched and I just loved it so much.

As I watched Medda singing on that stage and absolutely killing it, the bright lights, the dancers and just the grandness of it all, it increased my desire to be a performer.

It had always been a huge dream of mine to be part of that life. A big, full crowd of people watching as you leave it all on that stage.

It's a very exhilarating feeling and everything is larger than life. That's what's so great about New York, well at least if you got dealt the right cards.

Maybe I don't necessarily fit that qualification but the beauty of dreaming is that it never has to be subject to reality. You can dream whatever you want as long as your imagination is wide enough.

The other beautiful thing about dreaming is that you see the world from a whole new lens. No matter what gets thrown at you, you've always got something to cling to like Santa Fe for Jack.

Life isn't easy but beautiful moments like this tend to remind you of the beauty around you in your day to day life.

A moment with someone you love. How safe I feel with Morris' arm around me. My heartbeat following the music and his gentle taps against my arm.

My breathing matching his as our close proximity causes me to sense every rise and fall of his chest.

When the show is over I smile, savouring a new memory made.

"That was amazing."
"Yeah, I can see why you like the arts so much. And I can definitely see you on a stage like that. Soon everyone will be trying to get tickets to see Y/N DaSilva live."

"Now you's jus' tryna flatter me," I argued giving him a playful shove.
"Is it working?" he joked.

"I guess you'll never know."
"I'll get it outta ya, N/N."

"Yeah I bet you's waitin' for me ta confess my undying love ta ya."
"That sounds like a confession in itself," he teased back.
"Shuddup, I bet you'd like that."
He just laughed in response.

We walked the rest of the way in comfortable silence. His arm around my shoulders which as per usual provided me with that secure feeling.

I've done quite a good job at not letting my emotions cloud my judgment too much. I'm able to have a regular friendship with Morris without my feelings for him getting in the way.

Feelings pass but you never want to lose a friendship like this. He started humming a tune as we walked. It was peaceful with just him, me and the night sky.

Eventually we reached a point where we would go in opposite directions.
"I had fun wit' you tonight, see ya tomorrow, Mo."
"Yeah see ya, N/N."

He gave me one last hug before we parted ways.

The first person I saw as I got to the lodging house was Race. He was seemingly bursting with excitement.

He was insistent that I tell him every detail of what happened tonight, expecting some crazy events. I guess he underestimates my ability to be underwhelming.

Eventually everyone else had long since gone to bed except for Albert and I.

"So where'd ya go this time?"
I kept silent.
"Weird how ya have more words for Race than me."

"What do ya want from me, Al? Why are ya so mad at me?"
"Because you ain't trustin' me."

"Of course I trust you!"
"Then why are ya keeping secrets?"
"You can't tell me that there's nothin' ya ever not told me."

"This is different 'cause it's bigger and you's fine ta talk ta someone else but not me."
"And there's gonna be tons more! Don't mean I don't trust you, just means he knows this one maybe you know the next."

"But why can't ya tell me?"
I sighed, "Because I know you, Albert, this just ain't somethin' ya needa hear right now."

"So you's gettin' into trouble then," he accused, throwing his hands up exasperated.

"No it ain't trouble, it only becomes trouble when everyone knows. Race only knows 'cause of timing."

"If you tell me, I won't judge ya, 'd never judge ya."

I took a deep breath in, weighing the pros and cons of telling him. I mean he'd take it better than a lot of the other newsies because he hasn't experienced much of the Delancey brothers.

Then again, he's my overprotective brother who warned me about them on my first day selling, but I also have an explanation for all that. Still, where would I even begin?

After some time of pondering, I made my decision.