teenage years

everleigh opens her last present. it was a necklace she really wanted and a badge like alex's.
"thank you so much!" everleigh shouts when she hugs her parents.
"we're glad you like it jellybean." alex smiles widely.

everleigh had the best 13th birthday party ever. after her party her best friend, sophia, stays the night.
"come on let's go to my room." everleigh tells sophia.
the two girls run upstairs. they get to everleigh's room and they play a board game.

shortly after they finish the game, norma calls them down for dinner. the girls run downstairs and they sit at the table.

it was a smaller dinner because they ate some food at the party. for dinner was, spaghetti and meatballs, everleigh's favorite meal.

after a few bites everleigh decides to make small talk.
"what was my name gonna be if it wasn't everleigh?" everleigh asks.
"well there wasn't really another name we had besides everleigh. we did go between everleigh and faith a lot." norma answers.
"good decision. i don't look like a faith." everleigh sighs.
everyone starts laughing.

suddenly norman walks into the room and once they notice him everyone goes silent. norma gives alex the side eye and slowly takes a sip of her wine.

"hey guys." norman says. "who's this?" he asks while looking at sophia.
"i'm so-"
"it's not your business." norma finally butts in.
sophia just sits there awkwardly.
"can you please go norman. i want to have fun with my best friend." everleigh says slowly and quietly, scared of norman's reaction.
"ok. i love the fact that i'm not appreciated in this family." norman breaks before he rushes out of the room.

norman's jealousy is getting out of hand. each year it grows stronger and stronger. norma doesn't even seem to care how he feels. this also make him furious.

"i'm so sorry you had to witness that honey." norma tells sophia.
"oh it's ok." sophia tells norma.
the two girls finished eating so they go upstairs.

while upstairs, sophia and everleigh just gossip.
"who's norman?" sophia pauses, "if you're ok with me asking."
"he's my brother. he moved away from home a few months before my mom got pregnant with me. when i was 3 he came back. all he does is argue with my mom. their relationship is ruff. i can tell he gets upset when i get more attention then him. it's just awkward with him around." everleigh tells sophia.
"no offense but he's creepy." sophia says.
"i know." everleigh agrees.

the two girls go to bed after norma and alex come upstairs.

the next morning, everleigh and sophia went down to breakfast. there was a random box in the middle of the living room.
"mom, dad, what's this?" everleigh asks.
"it's a late birthday present. go ahead open it." norma tells everleigh. norma then gives alex an excited expression.

everleigh opens the box and she sees a little dachshund puppy jump out of the box.

the dog starts licking her face and everleigh has the biggest smile on her face

the dog starts licking her face and everleigh has the biggest smile on her face. sophia is shocked and so happy for everleigh.

norman comes downstairs when he hears commotion. he peaks around the corner of the doorway. when he sees what's happening his jealousy is almost too unbearable.

"thank you so much!" everleigh starts crying happily.
"you're so welcome jellybean." alex tells everleigh.
they all pet the puppy.
"what are you gonna name her?" norma asks.
"poppy." everleigh answers.
"that's an adorable name." norma tells everleigh.

3 hours later sophia leaves.

"thanks again for the puppy." everleigh thanks her parents again.
"you're welcome." they both say at the same time.
everleigh goes back up to her room with poppy. they play for awhile until norma calls everleigh down for dinner.

they all eat as a family. after they eat everleigh heads upstairs and plays with poppy before going to bed.