096. hate to do this on your birthday

H I R A E T H

xcvi||hate to do this on your birthday

Maria is lay in her bed. She can't sleep. It now reads 00:34am on her clock, June 30th. She is officially eighteen years old. She thought she would feel older and more mature. She feels pretty much the same as she did thirty four minutes ago on the 29th, it's rather disappointing. She could wish for so many things right now. The only thing she does is that Regulus may magically show up at her bedroom door.

Just as she closes her eyes, a knock is heard on the wood of her door and she frowns, sitting up and cautiously walking over to the door before slowly swinging it open, seeing a disheveled Regulus Black stood outside it.

"Reg—"

"Shhh!" Regulus hisses, beckoning someone and Maria frowns with slightly wide eyes as The Black family house elf — Kreacher — walks in, bowing low to Maria who looks at Regulus in confusion.

"What's going on?" Maria whispers as Regulus slowly closes the door behind him, cupping her face with his hand gently

"I'm going." Regulus says in determination. "He knows. He knows where a horcux is.  And I'm going to find it. You don't have to come—"

"I'm coming." Maria cuts hun off and Regulus sighs, knowing there's no point in arguing with her as she will just find her own more dangerous way of getting to wherever they're going. "Give me a minute—"

"Ria—it's your birthday." Regulus says softly and sadly, his eyes holding tears as he grips her hand and she smiles through her underlining dread.

"I know."

"I don't want to do this to you on your birthday." Regulus whispers, tucking some hair behind her ear and she smiles. "There's a large chance we might not get out of this alive, sweetheart. You don't have to take that risk if you don't wish to."

"I'm going with you." Maria says smiling reassuringly. "I'm always with you." Regulus sighs but nods, letting her run to get changed in the bathroom.

When she exits, she's wearing Regulus' old Slytherin jumper and some baggy jeans with some black converse. Her hair is pulled into a loose braid and she looks beautiful, to him she always does. Even when they're walking into almost certain death. She slips her wand into her waistband and Regulus looks at Kreacher who holds out a wrinkled hand to both of them.

Maria looks at Regulus who nods and they both take the house elf's hand, the three disappearing from the Potter Manor instantly.

"So, how exactly do you know where it is?" Maria asks Kreacher as they land in the middle of the ocean on a small boat.

"Voldemort used him to test defences on the horcrux." Regulus says angrily, Maria nods softly. She knows that he cares dearly for the house elf that he grew up with.