Seek and Recognize

Where to even begin.. How it came to this.

We were so young and naive, well I was at least 

Let me tell you a story of how I came to be

Ms. Fisher

Work was slow that's for sure, the record store hardly got a lot of customers on the weekdays. My name is (y/n) and this was my life. I was homeschooled, lived with my abusive mother who was stuck in her ways of ‘Beauty is everything’.

I hated it, pageant after pageant, modelling gig after the next, I hated being judged on my looks and how I was presented. I wish I could get away from it all. I only had one friend, Larry Johnson. Guy was like a brother to me and he felt the same, he saved me from some bullies when we were in 4th grade and we became thick as thieves since then. I was homeschooled as of a few months ago since… The ‘incident’.

I could never go back to that school, they all looked at me in disgust and spread more and more rumours about me. It was all a lie, even Larry knew. My mom blamed me, said I brought shame on our name. I didn’t care.

I was lost in my thoughts just listening to the music that played I hadn’t even noticed anyone walk in, I glanced up as a male voice cleared their throat to get my attention

‘Oh sorry about that can I help you-’

I finally took in his appearance. 

There in front of the counter was a boy, about my age. Blue hair in pigtails, and.. A mask? It was not a halloween mask for sure it looked way to high quality and sturdy aside from the faded pink/lilac color on one side of it. He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. Shit I made it weird by staring.

‘I just wanted to know if you had any Sanity’s Fall albums? I’m kinda new to this place but a friend of mine said this was the best place for CDs”

I nodded in response

‘Yeah of course, right there between the heavy metal and death metal section we have a whole row for them. Their new album came out so I would get one before they run out.’

He simply nodded and smiled, I could tell because his eyes slightly squinted. He headed that way and I went back to chores, I wiped the counter and changed the incense in the burner to some nag champa, the smell always calmed me and kept my mind clear. The smell reminded me of my father before he passed.

I took in a deep breath unaware the boy was watching me.

He brought the album to the counter along with some guitar strings and a pick. He kept glancing at the boxes of incense we had. I caught him and smiled.

‘Their good for cleansing you know? Keep away bad spirits and calm your mind, plus the smell is nice’ I chimed as I rung up his items

‘Wow, I know my friend has some in his room but I didn’t know they could do that’

He gently grabbed the dragons blood and set it with his items. Soon he was rung up and handed me his money

‘Do you go to school here by chance?’

‘Ah no I’m homeschooled’

He took his bag and rested his hands in his pockets

‘Oh I see, well I’m Sal but my friends call me Sally Face’

I smiled as he introduced himself

‘I’m (y/n) it’s nice to meet you Sal’

I could tell he hadn’t been here too long, or else he would have known my name but his demeanor towards me had not changed. He was still friendly.

‘Heh well I should get going, see you around.’ he waved goodbye and left

I sighed. I shouldn't get my hopes up about a new friend, I’m sure once he finds out he wouldn’t want to talk to me anymore, Larry still gets shit for it at school. Speaking of which I need to go by after work for a chill session.

Time passed agonizingly slow but I soon was out and at Larry's place. I was about to knock on his door when I heard music.. It sound like the new Sanitys Fall album but Larry hadn’t come by to get it yet, I still had his on hold in the back.

I knocked before opening the door and saw them. 

Larry was in his bean bag and on the floor in front of him was the boy from the store, we locked eyes as Larry turned down the music and smiled at me

‘Hey man come on in, was wondering when you would show up’ he laughed

‘Hey Lar good to see you’

I made myself comfortable on the floor by Sal. We looked at eachother

‘Hey’

‘Hi’

Larry chuckled and shook his head

‘Guess you two have met already, Sal this is my friend I talked about from the record store. She’s a chill chick’

‘Heh yeah I know, she didn’t say anything about my prosthetic so I figured it was her just wasn’t to sure’

I simply laughed and nodded

‘Yeah it’s me’

We all chilled for a bit before Larry got up

‘I’m gonna go grab us a drink, play nice kids’ he joked

Larry left the room leaving me and Sal in awkward silence

‘I know who you are…’

That sentence caused my breath to hitch and I tensed, gripping the carpet beneath me until my knuckles turned white

Of course he knew

Everyone does

It was only a matter of time

‘Larry said you went through a hard time, didn’t say what but kids at school were making comments to him about you. They were pretty bad but…’

My teeth clenched as I stared down at my lap, I was ready for him to say it.

Just say it damn it