Chapter One

"Things happen for a reason " As the saying goes. Sometimes the reason is your father is a compulsive gambler. If I close my eyes long enough I can still see the smoke and smell everything burning. At seven years old I had lost everything, my family, my inherentace, my nobility.

"Since I had no other family to speak of. I was sent to a convent for my education...I was their charity case. In addition to my studies I was also taught domestic skills to help me make a living once I was out on my own."

"I've been here for eight years now. I'm about to turn sixteen, the age when most noble women marry and leave their family homes to live with their husbands. I on the other hand, by some miracle found a job as a servant at The Royal Court of France. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it."

You: I don't know if I'm ready.

Sister Eliza: I believe you are.

You: If I fail I'll have nothing

Sister Eliza: And if you succeed, you'll have a life of your own. Go on now. The carriage is waiting.

"With me in the carriage are three other girls about my age, all having gotten jobs as castle servants. They begin telling their stories to each other, while I stare at the window and pretend to listen.

Wendy: What's your story? Y/N?

You: My story?

Wendy: Yes. Where you came from, how you got here?

"Whenever people ask me about myself, as sad as my story is I always like telling it with a bit of flair. In a way I kind of find it amusing.

You: My mother and father are of noble birth...or were I should say.

Sarah: What happened?

You: My father just couldn't stop gambling.

Wendy: On what?

You: Everything. Horse races, jousts, fights, you name it. And he never paid off his debts. And as you can imagine the people he owed money to because angry and rightfully so.

Eleanor: What did they do?

You: One night they broke into our estate stabbed him in his sleep, my mother too. Then they set our estate on fire. I made it out, but unfortunately no one else did.

Wendy: That's awful.

Sarah: Tragic.

"The rest of the carriage ride was filled with question after question about my life and my family's downfall from society. Dare I say I was never more excited than when we finally reached the castle"