Island Deep Book 1 - The Killing Roots

Synopsis

Something ancient and powerful lurks beneath the surface of an idyllic and much-loved holiday island off the southern coast of Australia. A supernatural force to be reckoned with.

'Accidents' sometimes happen to unsuspecting folk who live on the island or visit it. People die.

For decades, the cause of these deaths has been covered up by a small group of residents,

who keep the existence of the problem hidden for their own twisted reasons.

A young doctor moves to the island, just as some of the accidents and deaths occur. She sets out to uncover what's really happening, with the help of a policeman who is also new in town.

They find they may well be in more danger from the group of townspeople keeping the terrible secret, than the secret itself...

Island Deep

Book 1, The Killing Roots

Concept and story copyright ©2021 Heather Hammonds

All Rights Reserved. This work is protected by Australian and International Copyright Laws. No part of this Work may be reproduced or transmitted by any means without prior written permission from the copyright holder. *Note: This story and all names, characters, incidents and events in it are completely fictitious. No identification or connection with actual persons (living or dead), or any events, buildings or anything else is intended. Nor should any be inferred under any circumstances. This is a work of fiction, folks, and is intended for entertainment purposes only!

With special thanks to Serra Clisby at Adventure Island – Phillip Island Photography for the amazing cover artwork.

                                                                  ********************************************

Chapter 1

Derek sat quietly in the wooden bird hide and stared out across the saltmarsh of Rhyll Inlet, through a small viewing window. Mangroves surrounded the hut on three sides, while the waters of the muddy, salty inlet lapped at the fourth. The area was a haven for birdlife and the hide was a busy spot for photographers on weekends. Now, mid-week and late in the afternoon, he was alone.

Floppy hat, high powered binoculars, camera, tripod... he had all the equipment required by a serious birdwatcher, or 'twitcher' as his kind were often called. His old backpack also lay at his feet with a thermos of coffee and a good supply of salted peanuts packed inside it. A small flask of whiskey, too – just to lubricate his joints, as he liked to tell himself.

A pair of black swans with new chicks sailed past the hide, unnoticed. Derek had his eyes on much bigger quarry today. Quarry that was making him angry. His hands shook as he reached down for his whiskey, whilst continuing to watch the scene in front of him.

There was an open stretch of grass on the opposite side of the narrow arm of the inlet to where he sat, and it was almost like a mini park. Derek had explored it himself on other days, following the path and boardwalk that led to it. It was a favourite haunt of teenagers. Kids often played hookey from school there. Young couples also hung out at the spot, looking for a little privacy. Derek shook his head. The kids seemed to have no idea that anyone sitting in the bird hide with a pair of good binoculars could see exactly what they were up to. They often made such a noise that they scared the birds away. He hated them with a passion.

Derek was so annoyed at the intruders that a few weeks earlier he'd begun photographing them. He'd decided to compile a dossier about everyone who frequented the little grassy spot, planning to give it to the police while completely forgetting that it was a public place and the kids were quite entitled to go there. He felt righteous and strong as he clicked away with his camera, capturing the faces of unsuspecting youths. No... he wasn't being a pervert. He had to remind himself of that – though that's what his wife would have called him if she knew what he was doing. He was upholding the Law. Doing a job that the police didn't seem interested in doing!