[ Chapter VI : Corruption ]

Start from the beginning

"But you must understand that you are the older between you and princess Athanasia."

There he goes again— like everyone else, Athanasia this, Athanasia that. Atanas felt the same burning feeling of envy in his chest once more.

"And so what if I am?" He muttered out in response.

Felix quickly lifted his head, happy to finally hear Atanas talk to him. The male placed his hands over the younger's shoulders and looked at him,

"You must act responsibly as you are older. I am not supposed to say such a thing to the crown prince, but I am saying this as someone who cares for you and her highness. Please be the big brother the princess needs... Her highness—"Felix hesitated, "her highness is a very lonely child. Just yesterday evening she asked to see what Lady Diana looked like."

Atanas bit his tongue before he would let something bad escape his mouth. His lips trembled and his brows furrowed.

"Felix— I..."

'I'm lonely too, Felix'

"...I understand. I'll try to be better."

Felix smiled and let out a sigh of relief before pulling Atanas by the shoulders, into him, hugging the boy.

"Please survive and come back to us safely, my prince."

Atanas couldn't say anything, and looked out his balcony with a crestfallen expression.

Slowly, his hands came up to hug Felix back. He closed his eyes and squeezed the male tightly, burying his face in Felix's shoulder.

Atanas was tired.

♡︎♡︎♡︎

Morning came to the Obelian empire too quickly, as Atanas had no sleep at all. His body was plagued with a nightmare and it caused him to stay up the whole night.

He saw a man in his nightmare— reaching out to him and holding him in his arms while Claude watched with his disinterested eyes.

Atanas shook his head as he sheathed his sword into its holder. The boy looked into the mirror,

There was a boy with pale blond hair, and jeweled eyes that stared at him with a dull look.

Atanas lowered his gaze before turning away, and walked to the door.

No one was escorting him today, he would go to the front lines by a carriage before having to stop to go to the camp by horse. It was a dangerous journey from then on.

Atanas stood outside of Sapphire palace, hand resting on the hilt of his sword as he waited for his carriage to arrive.

It was quiet this early in the morning— but his mornings were always quiet anyways. Now, it gave him a sense of discomfort.

Atanas shuffled in his place as he heard the sounds of his carriage and the horse trotting. He looked up and saw the carriage approaching.

The imperial carriage came to stop in front of him as the coachman tilted his hat to the prince. "Blessings and glory to the future Sun of the Obelian empire."