CHAPTER 5 - IN THE HALL OF THE OGRE KING

"Here we are, the edge of the Howling Owl Woods," mentioned the brown owl, shielding her yellow eyes from the sunlight. "I hope you'll get better, though. What happened?"

Erwin sighed, "Let's just say I was cooked."

The owl flew away, hooting in fear.

The young sorcerer made his way back to Spotty Stench Swamp, trying to make himself as unnoticeable as possible. Goose Blahblah pulled him to the side however, and although Erwin greatly appreciated the nurse's professional help without expecting anything in return, he wished she would be a lot quieter about his injuries.

"Holy heavens!" the goose exclaimed, "You looked just about as half cooked as a plucked goose! And would you look at your fingertips! They're as hard as bronze!"

"Thanks ..." he muttered dryly as everyone crowded around to watch her remove the makeshift bandages and replace them with disinfected gauzes and dressings, all the while tutting and tsking at his burns. She made him dip his petrified fingers in a waxy solution before uttering a spell, and even though the curse wasn't lifted his fingers weren't hurting from the bronze.

"Should we send him back to the Fairy Kingdom?" asked Goose Blahblah, "These are some very nasty burns, and I have tools back there that could easily speed up the healing process."

"No thanks," Erwin climbed onto the dragon's back, despite her naggings and advice. The sun shone above them, telling everyone it was near noon, and the last thing he wanted was to waste more of their time. The dragon's scales glittered in the light of day as he took off, the antidote energizing him more than ever. Oscar rested on top of Goose Blahblah's hat, and she sat herself at the front, behind her followed the four adolescents.

"Wait-" Erwin piped up as they soared towards Stink Bomb Tower. "How many crystal keys have you got now?"

Steve turned to him, Boils resting on his head like a peculiar blue cap, "Well, before you left we had six, and Boils gave me one and I found another on the dragon's horn."

Erwin nodded silently, before suddenly bursting into laughter. He quickly stifled his giggles when Goose Blahblah glared at him, but he had to cover his mouth to hide his grin.

 He felt a post-it note passed onto his shoulder from behind.

"Are you alright?"

He wheezed again, making the nurse eye him suspiciously.

"Of course I'm okay," he giggled, "Take that Cackle I'm still in one piece!"

Confused and concerned, Snowy Dawn spent the rest of the trip glancing at Erwin every few seconds. She stared intently at the sight of his injuries and petrified fingertips, wondering what he had done to anger the witches and their queen. Steve wanted to ask about it as well, but as soon as he opened his mouth he gagged. The trio covered their noses and mouths with their jackets, and Snowy Dawn did so with a white handkerchief, for suddenly they were engulfed in a thick cloud of green smoke. The Dragon of the Rainbow landed at the huge doorstep of Stinkbomb Tower, and the trio gazed at the huge jenga block of a building with a huge moat behind it, steaming with green fumes.