094. the end of an era

Start from the beginning

"Well, if it's any consolation, I believe you will thrive in the real world Maria, truly." Rosemary states, packing the candle that keeps her classroom constantly smelling of rosemary. "You will. And Mr Black, I do hope I have gained an invitation to the wedding."

"If there is ever a wedding, you will be one of the first to know." Maria smiles softly, thinking about the times her and Regulus had brain stormed about marriage and how magical it would feel to be bound to one and other for ever. Till death do us part. That's what they say. But that already really applies to them so Maria isn't in a rush.

"I like the sound of that." Rosemary smiles softly. "Go on, you don't want to be late."

"Thanks for everything, Professor." Maria says softly, smiling at the woman before exiting the room. Now, she's on the hunt for Minerva who she finds sorting through N.E.W.T papers in her classroom.

"Good afternoon, Potter." McGonagall says without looking up from the papers making Maria frown but she walks further in to sit on the desk at the front of the classroom closest to Minerva's desk. "Excited to be getting home?"

"Sort of." Maria shrugs her shoulder, slipping her finger in and out of the ring on the necklace Regulus had gifted her for her seventeenth birthday. Minerva smiles empathetically. "I don't feel ready yet—to be leaving."

"That's what everyone says." Minerva states. "I mean, your brother was in head on his last day, going on about how nervous he was to go out into the world. And look at him now, training to be an auror and in a secret society plotting against dark wizards."

"Yeah." Maria laughs softly and the transfiguration Professor squeezes her shoulder. "Thank you Minnie, you've really been someone to trust for all of us."

"I'm head of your house, it's my job." Minerva laughs and Maria chuckles, hugging the older witch as she would her mother. "Good luck, Maria."

"You too, Charlie Weasley's coming in a few years, isn't he?" Maria snickers at Minerva's exasperated sigh as she makes for the door. "It'll be like having the Prewett twins all over again, I suspect."

"Merlin help us all."

Maria smiles, leaving the woman alone in her classroom, sighing softly and making for the one place she will miss the very most. Her school shoes hit the metal as she walks the height of the spiral staircase, seeing Regulus Black stood with a cigarette between his lips and a black hoodie on with some jeans, his tousled hair blowing in the breeze.

"Sorry, I didn't—"

"No—I thought you'd come up here so." Regulus says quickly, leaning back on the railing and Maria sighs, walking over and holding out her hand making him smile slightly and take out a cigarette for her. He lights it with his own before handing it to her gently, making sure his fingers brush hers as she takes it.

"I'm going to stay with Andromeda for my birthday." Regulus says hesitantly and Maria looks at him for a few seconds before back over the tower, nodding. Regulus shakes his head slightly and mutters an inaudible 'Fuck'. Maria hasn't slept in her own bed at her house on her own in what feels like forever. "I don't have to come back to your house—if you don't want me to."

"No, it's your house now too." Maria says hurriedly, shaking her head and inhaling the chemicals from the cigarette that she holds with slightly shaky hands.

Regulus nods, flicking the cork of his cigarette off the tower, Maria doing the same thing with a small frown etching her face.

"We're really not coming back." She mumbles, looking at Regulus shakes his head. "You know, I had a massive crush on you in third year. But you always took the piss out of my hair so it put me off and I just went along with your jokes. I mean—you really hated me—"