𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

Start from the beginning

If it made Aulus happy, then she'd endure it. Plus looking back on the past would be a little fun. 

"Okay, students!" Mister Brooks started off, not earning a single ounce of attention except from the trio of vampires. Noticing this, he cleared his throat and spoke again. "If the new students can pay attention, then so can you all. Unless you'd all rather serve detention." Groans filled the room, as the class fell silent, eyes turning to the trio and then the gawking began.

"Back to where we left off from last class, please take out your notebooks." Nero raised her eyebrow at Aulus, who shrugged his shoulders and raised his hand. "Yes, Aulus?" Mister Brooks asked him. "We didn't exactly come prepared, we don't have notebooks at the moment." The man just smiled and shook his head. "Then you three better have good memory." 

The only thing Aulus could do was nod earning a smile from the teacher who began writing on the chalkboard. "So, in ninety eight B.C, Marcus Ulpius Traianus; had become Emperor, being known to us as Emperor Trajan." Mindless scratching of pencil and pens on paper had began, but two out of the three vampires couldn't help but smirk to themselves as the teacher began his lecture. 

This was exactly what Aulus meant when History class was in their playing field and with more irony, the lecture was on Emperor Trajan, completely being all Nero if the man made a mistake. "He was well known for his for having the second-greatest military expansion in all of Roman History." Nero nodded along to his words, the man not being able to see her as he had his back towards her, but Nero didn't want the man to turn around, then he'd have to ask questions. 

"Now, Trajan's predecessor was Emperor Nerva, who had adopted Trajan after being unsuccessful with popularity with the army. Nerva was childless, so seeing as Trajan was more popular with his army, he was promptly adopted and once his death, Trajan had succeeded in his spot." Nero had no comments, as everything the man was speaking seemed to be right, she was never there entirely for Trajan's early life, only being with the Emperor when he had invaded Dacia.

"Questions so far?" Everyone in the class shook their heads, including the trio. To say the teacher was shocked was an understatement, but he hid his surprise and continued the lecture. It wasn't until fifteen minutes later did he start to bring up the invasion of Dacia, did Nero perk up. 

"Emperor Trajan had expanded his conquest into Dacia, taking over the barbarian-like country in one-o-six. This also brings into an important part of history. Emperor Trajan was said to have a mistress, one from Dacia. She was said to be the epitome of good and provided him with good knowledge, being mindful of any enemies that the Emperor had." The man turned around once again and looked intently at his class, "Does anyone know the name of his mistress?" 

There was nothing but silence, but Vesta, Aulus and Nero ll had smirks knowing exactly what the woman's name was. "I'll give you a hint; one of you share a name with her." Silence still ensued until a boy from the back spoke up. "Jessica?" He laughed out earning chuckles from mostly everyone in class and a small whine from the girl herself. 

"Not quite." He hummed out, not being amused. 

"Her name was Nero." Vesta said, keeping his eyes locked onto the teacher who smiled back at the boy with a nod being sent to him. "I would be surprised that you know this, but considering your names. It seems to be obvious that you know this. But yes, your sister and Emperor Trajan's mistress do share the same name, much like they do with Emperor Nero." 

Eyes were on the three once again, all the students in class being quite curious with the new students and their increase information on history. "Yes, Mistress Nero was quite the woman. Emperor Trajan had spoke of her intellectual opinions on the way that Roman politics should be swayed and what areas to take over for the Roman expansion. She was also known for her vast knowledge of knowing who were spied in his circle." 

Nero smiled to herself, she was, indeed, quite the woman back then. She only wanted to help the man who had spared her from the tortures of his own army and as a 'thank you', she helped him expand his territory and become one of the greatest Emperors alongside Romulus. However, picking out the spies was quite the easy job, the men who were hired always had suspicious movements and speech when facing the Emperor. 

"After his untimely death in late one-seventeen, his cousin, Hadrian, had became his successor. And from his death, Mistress Nero, had disappeared from any trace of future Roman documents. Even if they were there, they were lost. Now to contin-" The teacher had been cut off by the bell, and in return had gotten small cheers and he abrupt closing of notebooks and bags opening. 

"Remember! We have a test on Monday from what we learned last week, please study!" He shouted after the students that had ran out of the classroom and sighed when he noticed the shocked expressions from all of his students. But before the trio could leave his classroom, Mister Brooks had called them over. "I don't expect you three to take the test, but if you wished to, you can. Seeing as your knowledge in Roman history is very expansive."

It was Nero's turn to talk, putting on a fake smile and aiming bashful words to her teacher. "You're too kind, Mister Brooks." The man shook his hand at them and smiled back. "Not one of them could name the Mistress of Emperor Trajan, but it seemed you all knew the answer but Vesta was confident in saying it. To say I'm surprised is an understatement, I've been teaching history for twenty-five years, not one student answered that question. So, if any of you are interested, I have a history club." The trio politely declined before speaking a bit more with the teacher till they were dismissed. 

"Jesus Christ, even the teacher wants in. Love have mercy." Vesta cringed, not wanting to look back as they were well aware the man was looking at them. Nero only nodded, her mind being caught off guard when the familiar scent was getting stronger. "Irrumabo..." (Fuck...) 

At her curse, the two looked over at their coven leader with curious eyes. "What's wrong?" Aulus questioned his leader, concern filling his eyes as he noticed the slight discomfort. "I suppose I should've told you all when it happened. I found my mate back when we were in Mississippi. Her scent is here, she's at this school." Vesta and Aulus looked completely surprised, they never expected Nero to find her mate and were fully expecting her to tell them when it first happened.

"Why didn't she come with us? Why didn't you tell us?" Vesta barraged his friend with questions, wanting to stop her from walking but knowing that they were in school would seem a little weird. "I don't like the idea of having someone binded to me, especially if they're a complete stranger, so I ignored her. Although, her scent is very appealing..." Nero trailed off, trying to stop herself from wanting to find her mate.

Aulus smacked her shoulder and looked at her with wide eyes. "Of course her scent is going to be appealing, you haven't seen her in decades!" He whisper-shouted to his friend, running his hand through his hair as a stress relief, something he had always done when he was human that he continued to do even when he was turned. It wasn't until they walked into their next class did the scent get the strongest to Nero.

When her eyes made contact with Alice's golden ones, she froze. Alice was waving them over and once they reached her, she spoke. "Hello, Nero."

"Hello, Alice. You know, I didn't expect to see you again." Nero said the the pixie, earning a smile from the small girl. "To be fair, I've missed you." Like it was programmed in her brain, the words had slipped from Nero's mouth. "I've missed you too."

××