A Winter Tale

A Winter Tale

Posted on December 13, 2013 by thedonkatsu

--

Tiffany didn't remember exactly when it started. She was twelve, that much she knew, and she was sulking and whining endlessly for the whole week prior to that night. She blamed her father for his sudden purchase of the mountain lodge and for dragging her out there with him. He would be locked up in his room, writing, while she would be bored out of her mind.

Lucky for her, her nanny was there to keep her company and she told her the story of the local urban legend-that of a cursed princess that roamed the forest during winter or whenever it was cold and kidnapped children; keeping her entertained for the rest of the night.

The next day, she decided to sneak out after lunch and explore the nearby forest. Her curiosity reached its peak as she sought to prove or refute this legend. She had packed herself a sandwich along with a thermos of hot chocolate, a flashlight, a blanket and her digital camera. She didn't forget her cellphone and an old compass she found while rummaging in one of the lodge's empty rooms.

The sky soon started to darken and she waited in excitement at what she thought was the deepest part of the forest. She didn't even think about wild animals until she saw one rushing towards her, barring its teeth at her as it growled hungrily.

She ran as fast as she could, discarding her backpack halfway through her escape while ignoring the cuts and bruises from the sharp branches she brushed against or stones she stumbled onto.

Her tired legs gave way the moment she reached a clearing with large rocks and an even bigger tree growing on top of the pile of huge stones. She tried to pull herself up and climb up the slippery surface, desperate to avoid the approaching beast, but failed as she slid back down to the ground.

Tiffany closed her wet eyes and held her breath, preparing to meet her end. She could smell the beast's stinky breath and felt its warmth on her face before it suddenly disappeared.

Shocked and confused, she opened her eyes to see the animal backing away like a pet. Its head was kept low but its eyes were looking at a spot right behind Tiffany.

She slowly turned around, afraid to see what kind of scary creature could make this savage beast behave like this. But to her surprise, she didn't find a hideous looking animal perched on the stones behind her but instead saw a girl her age, sitting at the edge of the rock with her bare feet dangling down the side and a small enigmatic smile on her face.

The girl was wearing a pale blue dress, had long dark brown hair, round twinkling eyes and skin so fair Tiffany couldn't help but think that it was made of snow.

She was still frozen in shock when the girl looked at her and smiled even wider.

"You shouldn't be alone in this part of the forest at this time of day. It's dangerous," the girl spoke in a voice that Tiffany thought was cute and... normal. She sounds normal for someone who looks totally out of place.

"Y-you shouldn't be h-here either," Tiffany finally said.

The girl didn't respond to that. She just stayed in her position with her eyes fixed on Tiffany and that smile never leaving her face.

When Tiffany had gotten over her initial shock, she began moving back in fear when she realized that in the cold breeze, the girl's hair and dress didn't move even for a tiny bit.

"No need to be afraid."

Tiffany stopped when she heard it.

"I mean you no harm."