Chapter 8b

They all froze for a second. Maylin noticed that Olivia and Geoffrey both had wary expressions on their faces.

"Were we expecting anyone?" Maylin asked.

"No. Linc said clearly he was going to be staying at the Den tonight," Olivia said.

Geoffrey and his sister got to their feet, their expressions tense.

"Maybe Liam?" Maylin said.

"It's not the sound of Liam's dying engine," Olivia said.

"It's coming slowly, as if the driver isn't sure of the way," Geoffrey added.

"Who else knows about this cabin?" Maylin asked.

"No one." Liv's mouth was grim. "Not even Chris remembers exactly where it is."

Cassandra grabbed Maylin's hand. She was trembling.

"Let's be cautious, just in case." Geoffrey grabbed the shotgun, which had been stowed in the corner of the room because the gun cabinet was still full.

Olivia grabbed the gun cabinet key from the fireplace mantle. "Follow me into the bedroom."

Maylin grabbed a lamp, and following Olivia, ushered Cassandra into one of the bedrooms. Olivia opened the cabinet and handed Maylin a pistol.

At the feel of the cool metal from the pistol in her hands, her breathing calmed as she remembered her instructors from the classes she'd taken. She loaded the magazine, then pulled back the slide.

Olivia gave her a nod of approval. "Stay in the corner." She grabbed a rifle from the cabinet and left the room, closing the door behind her.

Maylin and Cassandra knelt on the floor in the far corner, only the bulk of the bed between them and the door, and she doused the lamp. She steadied her hand on the bed, aiming the gun at the shadow that was the bedroom door.

Her heartbeat was loud in her ears, but calmer than she would have expected. Next to her, Cassandra's breath came in gasps.

"Try to calm yourself or you'll start to hyperventilate," Maylin whispered to her.

Cassandra nodded and squeezed her eyes shut, focusing on her breathing.

Maylin heard the creak of the front door opening, and she could also hear the car engine, even through the bedroom door. She guessed that Geoffrey and Olivia had put out all the lamps and the fireplace, and then snuck out of the house. They wouldn't be able to see well in the pitch dark outside, but Geoffrey wouldn't need perfect aim with the shotgun, and Olivia could probably hit a squirrel with her eyes closed. Also, outside the cabin, they wouldn't need to worry about any stray bullets penetrating the walls into the bedroom. Maylin suppressed a shiver at the thought of bullets—from their guns or someone else's—raining upon Cassandra and herself.

The car engine faded away, and the silence was terrible. Even the sound of cicadas would have eased the tightness in her chest. All she heard was hers and Cassandra's breaths.

Then she clearly heard Lincoln's irate voice shouting, "Geoff, if you have a gun pointed at my head again, I swear I'm going to punch you in the face."

Maylin gave a gasp of laughter that sounded half like a sob. "It's all right. It's Geoffrey's brother."

Cassandra let out a long, forceful breath. "When this is all over, I'm going to learn how to shoot a gun."

They exited the bedroom just as Geoffrey was relighting one of the lamps, bathing the room in a soft orange glow. Lincoln and Olivia were entering the cabin.