If I can't be yours

I opened my eyes and realized that I wasn't on the train anymore.

There was no sign of the stupid Shinji either.

Looking around, I realized that I was in a dark place, looking like a theater room, with only a lone chair near the stage.

On the stage was a video projection screen. There was no other sound, no sign of life, and apparently no door or window.

I must have been freaking out, but for some reason I slowly approached the chair and sat down.

To my amazement, as soon as I decided to sit down on the chair, I heard a small pop as a video started to be projected on the screen.

The movie screen showed a video of myself. I was inside of an entry plug.

The Asuka on the screen was focused, concentrating on filling her lungs with LCL. I could hear her breathing and other sounds.

After a few seconds, some oddly familiar voices started to come from the radio system of the Evangelion.

"Mankind is really amazing. I still can't believe that we've managed to assemble the remaining pieces of the destroyed Unit 02 and build another artificial S2 engine."

"A change is coming, Jason. To activate this S2 engine that is imbued in this imperfect Evangelion is a possibility of rebirth. In fact, the survival and renaissance of the human civilization depends of that project".

"I know, Commander, but it's still very impressive. To do all that in just at couple of months after the estimated date of the Third impact is kinda of a miracle."

"Well son, the creative principle doesn't come from nothing. We should be thankful that we were able to retrieve most of the old research data in our MAGI backbone. Especially the researches made about 20 years ago. Herz always has been a place of higher learning, one of the first great references in terms of development of works related to Evangelion. In special, project Eva-R. It was the prime work about the nature of the angels and the motivator of the Katsuragi's expedition before their... annihilation. And also, as much as I don't like it, we got to give credit to that man that managed to gather the remaining's of Unit 02 from Japan in the middle of the chaos, since that the adamnite tissue of the Mass Production Series are useless and unable to regenerate because their cores are dead."

"Avil is correct. I'm sorry for the delay."

"It's about time, Ik... I mean, Rokobungi. Everything is ready for activation. But there are some important things that aren't clear yet. You will try to use the Amarantos Anima protocol in this test. We are aware that kind of contact experience was already tested with Kyoko Zeppelin Sohryu The goal was to make a permanent connection with the pilot and the Eva but, as you know, it was a failure. It was was discontinued since we developed other... more efficient ways of making a pilot synchronize with the Evangelion. You say that the MAGI and the annotations from the Dark Kabbalah retrieved from Hertz will made it work this time. How can you be so sure about that?"

"It's a legitimate question, Avil. The procedure will make a direct link between the subject's mind and the core of the Evangelion. After an initial perturbation, the intense feelings of love and hate imbued in a person's soul would be transferred to the core of the Evangelion. Like the love that a mother has for her child. Or the hate that a person has towards a former unfaithful lover. The key challenge will try to assure that the pilot won't go insane and will be minimally functional to do the job, unlike happened to Ms. Sohryu. Therefore, we will only extract the memories and feelings that are more prominent in the subject's mind until it's enough to make the Evangelion activate."