009

| # BUZZFEED UNSOLVED

( 📼 ) ━━━━ ❪ chapter 9 ! ❫ 

"I GOT a new one."

Spencer's voice shifted from his cheerful hello. "Jamie? Is it a letter?"

They nodded, biting their lip. "That makes five. Three since I sent out that Tweet a month ago."

"Read them to me." In a more gentle voice that didn't give away how angry he clearly was, he added, "Please."

"You know the first one, 'Jamie Roberts, watch your back.' The second was just a picture of me with my eyes crossed out with x's. The third told me I should be more careful leaving the house. And this last one, it told me I should consider not being home alone at night. They know me, Spencer."

"Jamie," he said firmly. "Call the police. You aren't safe. Just...come to my place. Or Olive's place. Anywhere but your house."

They wiped their eyes, shaking their head. "No, my Boo. I can't. I can't let them win and dictate my life with letters that mean as much as dirt."

"Just go somewhere else for one night. That's all I ask." He didn't even seem to notice his sunglasses where slipping, staring directly at Jamie through the phone.

"No. Fix your glasses."

"You live in the San Francisco Bay Area too, right? I'll-"

"No, Spencer. Charlie will be home early tonight. I won't be alone." They offer him a soft smile that looked forced. "I have to go to work, my sweet Boo. I got hired the cafe I applied for."

"That's amazing!" He didn't look ready to drop the subject of the letters but didn't object to them, either.

They nod. "But if I want to make a good first impression, I need to be on time."

He hesitated. "Just...call me later, alright?"

"I will, Ranboo, I promise."

Jamie's smile faded as soon as the call ended. They gathered their things and left the house, leaving a note for Charlie that they had work today in case she forgot.

"Hey!"

Jamie turned, their hand on their car door. "Hi?"

A boy around their age was standing in his driveway next door, grinning at them. "I just moved here with my mom. I'm Chris Clark."

Chris made his way across their shared side yard until he was standing at the edge of their driveway.

"Hi," they said, returning his warm smile. "I'm Jamie, welcome to the neighborhood! When did you move in?" They hadn't been aware anyone had bought the house that had been empty for nearly a year. They really needed to pay attention to their surroundings more.