Arrival

The path from the forest to Dray was much less eventful then Tommy would've liked. Even an angry mob would've been preferred over the tense and unbroken atmosphere that hung over his and Isaac's head. Halfway through Dray, Isaac had collapsed in a fit, forcing Tommy to have to carry him. It was hard, trying to hold his bow, pack and child all at the same time, but he managed. His arms suffered for it, though.

Eventually, they reached Esempi, Dray's capital. Tommy was filled with dread the second he walked through the gates. While he doubted many familiar faces had actually stayed in this hellhole of a city, there was always a chance of running into someone. He'd heard stories of separate kingdoms being built over the years, run by names he used to hold close to his heart.

None of that mattered now.

He was here for his son, nothing else. And if anyone here stood in his way, nothing would stop him from cutting them down.

Taking a deep breath, Tommy began forward again, walking down the wooden path dotted with moss and ivy. Trees and lampposts lined the walkway, but not even the warm glow could ease Tommy's nerves. It wasn't until he saw an old sign, half hidden by overgrowth, sitting to the side.

The faded letters spelt 'Prime Path'.

And that's when it hit him.

Tommy was walking through the remnants of a country he built, the memory of a future he thought he would have. All around him was his past, reminders of how much time and effort he put into something that was never going to be permanent. Tommy had thought he'd fall in love here, surrounded by the friends that helped him build it. He'd thought his children would run down this path as he chased them.

Now Tommy was walking through this country-turned-dictatorship-turned-broken city with his dying son in his arms, every instinct in his body screaming at him to run.
Things really had a way of twisting themselves out of control, didn't they?

Isaac was looking at him now, ears flicking in confusion at why his dad had suddenly stopped in the middle of the path. Tommy realised how heavy he was breathing. He couldn't have a panic attack here, not now, and especially not in front of Isaac. Exhaling slowly, he adjusted his grip on Isaac ready to get going.

What had happened here was in the past, irrelevant. He'd come to terms with it and moved on. Now all he needed to do was get Isaac's treatment and get out, never returning. It was a simple plan, a good plan.

"Tommy?"

But even the best of plans could run into complications.