Chapter One: The Wake Up Call

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! My hand searches around the drawer to find the clock. The moment I found the clock, I smashed it with my fist. It immediately stopped beeping, leaving my hand sore from the impact. I stretched my arms, yawning, only for my head to fall back onto my pillow. I turned my head and looked at the time. 8:00 AM. My mouth felt like sandpaper as I got out of bed, nearly tripping on my rug. "UGHHHH..." I thought as I finally made it to the washroom. I bump into the door, turning the knob so I could get in and relieve myself. Sleep can be a wonderful thing, if only it came with a warning label. WARNING: WHEN SLEEP IS OVER, WASHROOM USE IS STRONGLY ADVISED. OR ELSE YOU WILL PEE YOUR BED. I finish, flushing the toilet and walking over to the sink. As I wash my hands, I look at myself in the mirror. "I have a lot of work to do this morning..." I thought while I rinsed my hands. I dried them on the nearest towel, not only because I didn't care, but because they were all mine. One for myself, one for my hair, and one that can substitute any of the other two. I like to be prepared. Prepared is my middle name. No, I lied. It's something else, but you'll find out later on in the book. I open one of the drawers, grabbing a brush out. I attempt to brush my kinky, black hair, when my eyes fall upon my armpits. Oh. No. This CANNOT be happening. "Calm down, Dani. Calm down. Everyone gets armpit hair sometime in their life. UGHHHH, BUT NOT WHEN IT'S THE FIRST DAY BACK TO SCHOOL!!!! THIS CAN'T GET ANY WORSE!!!" I continue to brush my hair, stroking faster this time. "THIS IS NOT HAPPENING TODAY!!" I drop the brush inside the drawer and frantically search for a shaver of some sort in what so little time I had. No such luck. Now frustrated, I make a mad dash into my room, and try to sort out an outfit to wear, seeing as I didn't prepare from yesterday. I quickly decide to go with a long-sleeved white shirt that says "CHILLIN" with a picture of a cute penguin, which had sunglasses on, with a jeans vest over it all. I then snagged on a pair of high-waisted jeans (they are the BEST PANTS EVAH!) and ran downstairs, nearly falling face-first on the floor. I slide into the kitchen, only to fall under the stares of my entire family. "Oh, no. What did I do now?" I thought as I walked over to the closest counter. "Morning, everyone." I said sheepishly, opening the fridge slowly. I felt the stares even though my back was turned. I pull out the milk, and set it on the counter. I then open the washer and reach for a bowl. While walking back and forth, I noticed that everyone seemed sad. I couldn't figure out why. As I poured milk into my bowl, it was my dad who spoke first. "Ahem. Danielle, we need to speak with you for a moment." I slowly stopped in my tracks, which was halfway between the microwave and the fridge. He gestured to a chair, and as I sat down, I put the bowl on the table. Great. Looks like I'm having Captain Crunch in cold milk, AND be late for school. This day couldn't get any worse.