01

A beep. It disturbed the silence.

Another beep. It continued on like it did for the past many years.

Another beep. It continued to annoy the small boy laying on the bed.

His empty eyes continued to stare at the white ceiling stained with faint yellow spots here and there. How many hours, or maybe even days, has he been staring at it? He didn't know. It was impossible even if a fully-functional clock was hanging on the wall, right above the door.

He turned his head to the side, his eyes squinting a bit at the brightness that emitted from the glass window. His eyes took a good second to get used to the light. Outside the window of 'his' room, there were children. Children around his age, some older, some younger; children of all ages.

Some were playing tag, some were playing football, some were sat on the sidelines watching the others or reading a book, some were simply running around empty handed or with a paper plane. It looked fun. It was something many, many children had experienced growing up. Many children that didn't include him.

Envy and jealousy washed over his eyes, if not, his whole face.

He had always despised how he's been bedridden since birth. He despised how he couldn't even run around this rather small room. He despised how he can't go outside and play like other normal children, he despised how he couldn't be disconnected from all these stupid machines that kept him alive.

He hated the fact that he needed to rely on these machines to be kept alive. He hated living like this. It was suffocating. It was hard to breathe.

He doesn't even remember the last time he went outside of this room. He doesn't remember the last time he was free from these wires that connected his body to these machines.

He hated how restricted he felt.

He was slowly giving up on continuing to live. It was hopeless anyways; the orphanage he was in doesn't even have enough money to continue supporting his fragile life.

But he didn't want to fully give up. He wanted to see the world outside of his room. He had many things he wanted to do outside. During winter, a few years ago, he saw the other children make something called 'snowballs' and throw them at each other while laughing and giggling. It looked so fun.

Was his body strong enough to withstand the snow though?

The answer was no, unless he was fully cured from his illness.

His illness could be cured, yes, but it would cost a large sum of money and the orphanage would rather use it to feed other –healthy– children rather than spend it all on him; an individual. It was harsh but it's the truth.

The door opened gently, revealing 1 familiar figure and 2 new ones. (m/n) turned his head from the window to the door, which was on the opposite side of the window. He didn't pay much attention to the three figures, thinking that the two new figures were just some doctors who wanted him as a test subject. It wasn't the first time it has happened anyways.

He continued to observe the two though, occasionally looking at the familiar figure who happens to be his nurse that checked up on him from time to time. The nurse was smiling, an occasion that rarely happened before. (m/n) turned back to the new figures, one had an aura and the outfit of a doctor. Meanwhile the other was rather different. The clothings was simply just jeans and a shirt, buttons undone half way which made his chest open and for many to see.

The nurse continued to talk with the one who seemed to be a doctor, their voices being too distorted and blurry for (m/n) to decipher what they were talking about. Then, he could see the other walk towards him. He sat down on the chair which was conveniently placed right beside the bed.