"Y/n, welcome home!" your grandmother happily smiled while she was carrying heavy boxes into her shop as you immediately rushed to help her.

"Grandma! I told you not to work so late at night, next time, call me okay?" you shouted to your grandma as she laughed it off, "Hahaha, don't be such a worry-wart, Y/n! I'm fine-" before your grandmother could finish her sentence with a full-hearted laugh, her chest aches of pain as she clutches her shirt tightly.

"A-Ack" you groaned as she then stumbled on the floor, collapsed along with the scattered boxes of heavy books.

    "Grandma!" you cried out in fear. Grabbing out your phone and calling the hotline dialed for the hospital as you screamed into the phone.

    "My grandmother! Her chest pains are back and the doctor said to immediately come if there were any emergencies!" you shrieked into the phone as the hotline said that an ambulance would arrive immediately.

As you crouch down to see your grandmother in pain, "It's gonna be okay, grandma, everything's going to be fine" you comforted her as she smiled through the pain, "I-I'm not that... weak, Y/n" she laughed. As you heard faint sirens blaring through the street making the whole market come out of their shops to see what was going on, they then saw your grandmother being carried to the ambulance.

"Is Grandma L/n okay?"

"Oh no! Grandma L/n!"

"Poor Y/n... taking care of her grandmother by herself, what's going to happen to her now?"

    Worrying and concerns could be heard amongst the small crowd gathered around the vehicle. "Alright, little lady, get in the ambulance, we'll take the fastest route to the hospital" The nurse called you out as you hurried to leaped into the ambulance. Panic starts to send jitters to you as you cried to stop shivering, the tears could never stop trickling down your cheeks.

"Is my grandmother going to be okay?" you shivered in fear once again, asking the nurses and medical staff. "Don't worry, we're going to do our best." the nurse bravely smiled as the two of them took care of your grandmother. "Those words aren't enough, I need to know if she's okay...!" you cried in your mind as your heart beat faster and faster in fear.

╰┈➤The Hospital

    As you were panicking and waiting outside, the nurse then opened the door to the doctor's office. Without a second thought, you hurdled into the office.

"Is my grandmother okay?" you cried out as you rushed to the doctor. "Please calm down. She's is fine as of now, however..." the doctor paused as fear ran down your spine, shivering every cell within your body.

    "She has heart disease. Especially during her age, there's a high chance of her possibly not surviving unless she went through surgery." he sighed. "W-What..." you gasped.

    "Heart disease... my grandmother... how?"

you thought and rambled on within your head as you almost teared up. "We found out that the causes are from high blood pressure. We'll keep her hospitalized and give her an IV for the time being known to the fact that her blood is very low on sodium." the doctor clarified.

"...okay, sir" you muttered in reply.

"Miss... I know that you're just in high school but... are you sure you can afford her hospital bills?"

"I-I'm sure. She has an insurance, doesn't she?"

"Yes but in a worst case scenario, her surgery she might have to take... the insurance might not cover it."

"I-I'll see what I can do."

"Ms. L/n, would you like to visit your grandma?" the nurse asked you as you can only nod.

"Alright then, please follow me" you then follow her to your grandmother's room. The hallway to the hospital felt like ages to reach, your legs felt heavy and somehow, there was as if a lump had stuck on your throat.

Opening the door, your grandma lies on the bed as she watches a soap opera on the hospital's TV. "Y/n!" she happily cried out for your name but you were as silent as ever.

"I-I'll leave you two be" the nurse mentioned as she then left the room. "Grandma..." you called out, still hesitant to deliver the news. Her faced dimmed. Her smile faded ever so slightly. the curve at the ends of her lips were there but her eyes seemed dull.

"Heart disease, right?" she replied as you looked in her gray eyes.

"I have something to tell you too" she sighed.

"I'll be closing the book store soon." she answered as you were horrified with shock.

"Recently, your uncle cut ties with me weeks ago because I didn't approve of his marriage with some two-timer. There's also a new comic store opened near us and took all our customers... who would buy our old novels after all..." she sighed. Your uncle was the only one who was the last relative other than your grandmother, in other words, you now have no one.

Your parents lost their lives from a car incident, leaving you with your grandfather until he also is deceased from age. This means that your uncle is the last connection to your family, or so he was.

"Hah... our family is falling apart huh?" your grandmother cried as tears slipped from her face as well but she choose to smile through it, "Y/n... my darling." she asked you. "you little rascal..." her voice started to break, her breathing getting rapid as her glassy eyes started to trickle down tears. "I remember when you were still little... the ridiculous smile you had when ever gramps made you coffee... you were seven but already loved the taste of coffee so much..." he sighed, cupping your cheeks as she wiped your tear.

It's as if it's taped in your head-- your favorite memory of your grandfather.

It was a Thursday night. It was raining cats and dogs as your grandfather was making coffee in the kitchen of his house. He asked you if you wanted to try coffee to which then you agreed. The coffee was bitter as you let out a blasting whine, your grandfather chuckled at your reaction while he then mixed milk and honey into it to soften the bitten flavors of the drink.

"That'll make it better" he gently smiled as he handed you the drink, the sweetness and mellowness of the coffee made your eyes twinkle. Soon, you and your grandfather would cherish this drink every time you spend time together... that was until he was gone...

"Haha... that guy was crazy to the bone, letting a child to try such a bitter drink... but I can't deny that I miss him so much..." your grandmother sadly laughed as she wiped a tear from her face with the cuffs of her hospital gown.

Suddenly, you plunged to your grandmother for a hug, embracing her tight. "I miss him too" you cried as your grandmother gently smiled. "Don't think about the surgery cost too much. I'll see what I can do with it" she sighed.

"You heard it?"
"Everything. Word from the nurses passes by faster than lighting"

"I-I'll work hard. I'll study until my eyes fall out and work a part-time job, I'll pay the surgery with my scholarship money and I-" you prattled on and on as you grandmother gently patted your back. "-Your scholarship is important... don't spend it for some stupid reason... trust me" she sighed.

╰┈➤Timeskip | Your room

As you come out of the shower, your grandmother's apartment was dead quiet and empty. You let out a sigh and slumped on the floor. You sniffed, crying your eyes out once more. It seems that even the sky is shedding tears with you that night, the murky clouds enveloped the city like a blanket.

But suddenly... An idea popped in your head.

"The cafe..."

˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳❥₊· ͟͟͞͞➳❥˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳❥˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳❥

! thank you for your patronage, don't forget to vote & comment !