long story short- preview

The light of the lamp post across the street cast a glow on the snow. It had sprinkled down the night before, and was now the perfect place for the kids next door to play. Taylor was sitting at her small wooden desk, with a cup of tea. She could lie, and say this was the first cup of tea she had made, but why lie to her diary, it never judged her. The truth was, she had spilled her other cup of steaming peppermint tea on her foot, making her cat, who was rubbing up against her leg, jump away in terror.

She felt in the mood to write something, as the first thing she had done that morning was lay in bed thinking about how far she had come. She wanted to write a song that briefly gave an overview of the past ten years of her life. The song title came easy. Long Story Short. That was stating a fact. No creativity needed. Then the hardest, most enjoyable part. Writing the song.

Actually
I always felt I must look better in the rear view
Missing me
At the golden gates they once held the keys to
When I dropped my sword
I threw it in the bushes and knocked on your door
And we live in peace
But if someone comes at us
This time, I'm ready

Cause I fell from the pedestal
Right down the rabbit hole
Long story short, it was a bad time
Pushed from the precipice
Clung to the nearest lips
Long story short, it was the wrong guy

Her cat meowed at her, and the sound echoed throughout the room. It made it so she felt the whole world was telling her to stop writing, pet her cat, and clean the droplets of tea still left on her ankle boots. She placed her cat on her lap, ignoring her boots, almost pleading to be dried, and continued trying to figure out how the heck to fit 10 years into five minutes or less.

Past me
I wanna tell you not to get lost in these petty things
Your nemeses
Will defeat themselves before you get the chance to swing
And she's passing by
Rare as the glimmer of a comet in the sky
And she feels like home
If the shoe fits, walk in it everywhere you go

Footsteps startled her, jumping out of her seat, catching her cat midair. Maybe this was a sign that she shouldn't write this song, or maybe it was just the universe telling her that the leather on her boots would be ruined if she left the peppermint tea on them much longer.

She opened the door right when Thea was about to. She could tell it was Thea from a mile away, just by the waft of warm vanilla that stepped into the door with her, and that smile that could light up even the Grinch's darkest days.

"You're home early!" she smiled at her beautiful girlfriend. As she gave Thea a hug, she closed the door and grabbed a blanket. "You're cold!"

I just keep you warm
And my waves meet your shore
Ever and evermore