"Yeah, are you going?"  I shrugged my shoulders.  "You should come with us, it's supposed to be a good one."

"I wasn't planning on it, but maybe I'll make an appearance."  Dixon grinned. Despite my initial plan to grab my food and run back inside to avoid Elle, I sat down beside the pool and shot the shit with Dixon while we ate.  Absentmindedly listening to him talk about the upcoming party, but mostly keeping my eyes on the brunette on the other side of the pool.

I finished eating and was about to go inside, when there was a commotion at the other end of the pool.  I watched Warren put his arms around Elle and throw her into the pool.

A second later, Elle's head emerged from the water coughing and sputtering, "You asshole, I wasn't ready for that!"  She glared at Warren as she made her way out of the pool, continuing to cough and try to catch her breath.

I feel my body tense and I want to throw Warren into the pool, that twerp has always annoyed me.  Instead, I grab a towel from the cupboard next to where I'm sitting and walk towards Elle as she steps out of the pool.  I don't know exactly when it started, this feeling I get, this need to protect Elle and hurt anyone who does anything to her.  She was so small when we were younger, she always looked like she needed protection.  Then when she got older and I knew that she could take care of herself, that feeling was still there and I couldn't help the need I felt to protect her.  I know she doesn't like my fighting but I don't know if she realizes just how much of it started because of her.

"Thanks, Noah."  Elle says quietly as she takes the towel from me, her features instantly turning softer as she looks at me.  I stand there for a minute watching her towel herself off.  I feel such a strong urge to pull her into me and kiss her that I make myself take a step back as she looks at me again.  "Hey, can we talk?"  Elle asks even quieter this time, before looking around to make sure none of her friends were paying attention and continuing, "I've been trying to find you the last couple days." 

I've been so mad at her since our fight, but now I'm mad at myself because as soon as I'm in her presence, I want to forget about the fight.  "We can't talk, Shelly, someone might see us," I answered sarcastically.

"We could go inside?"  I want nothing more than to steal Elle away inside the house and up to my room. We both glance again at the rest of the group, who seem to be making their way back into the pool.  Lee is looking around, probably for Elle, when I notice Elle's new friend Allie get his attention, keeping him turned away from us.  I'm guessing that Elle finally told someone about us and I'm hopeful that puts us a step closer to telling everyone. 

At that point something inside me snaps and my frustration with the whole situation hits a new level. I try to keep my voice from raising enough for the others to hear me as I answer, "You mean sneak away from all your friends?  Or maybe come up with a big lie we could tell Lee, so we could have some time together?  I can't do it anymore, Shell."

Elle's beautiful blue eyes get a little teary as she stares back at me and I almost change my tone, I hate to see her looking at me so sad.  Just then, Lee yells out to Elle to jump in.  "One second, Lee!"  She yells, turning to look at him with a smile I'm sure she doesn't feel plastered on her face.  When she turns back to me, I watch that smile fade a bit.  "Please, Noah, don't be mad.  Just let me know when you're ready to talk.  I miss you."

I suck in my breath and hold it for a second before mumbling, "I have to go," as I turn to go back inside.  I should have stayed to talk to her, but I'm still not ready to have this conversation.  I know I still feel the same way about her, but I'm worried that it doesn't change anything and I'm not ready to have a conversation where we decide to break up for good.