Chapter 2: Getting Settled In

The sun rose over the Cookie Kingdom, and cookies began leaving their houses to start their mornings. Of course, Pastry Cookie was not one of them. She hated mornings.

The sun soon glared through Pastry's window. She groaned, pushing her face into her pillow in an attempt to get more sleep. However, her attempts were futile, as she heared a knock on her door. Pastry Cookie sighed, trying to ignore it. The knocking continued, this time followed by a slightly muffled "Hello? Pastry Cookie! It's me, Milk!"

Pastry growled in anger before deciding that it would be better to get it over with. She slowly made her way down to the front door, unlocking and opening it. On the other side was a smiling Milk Cookie. "Woah, you look like a mess. Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today?" He joked, but did not receive even a smile back.

"What is it?" She snapped, before realizing her tone. "Ah, my apologies...mornings are not easy for me. Don't take offense." Milk Cookie laughed. "None taken! We all have those mornings sometimes. Back to the point. We've arranged a spot on an adventure team for you. You start in 3 days, I assume you're already trained in combat." Pastry Cookie nodded. "Understood. Thank you." She began to shut the door, before being stopped by a hand on the other side.

"Wait!"

"What is it?"

"Do you maybe want to hang out? You know, to get used to the kingdom? I know you probably don't want to talk to anyone, but it will make your life a lot more fun if you do." Milk Cookie pleaded. "I don't do fun. I'm here on a mis—" "Please? At least give it a try!" Pastry Cookie scoffed, and thought about it for a second before giving in. "Fine, I'll try...give me a few minutes and I'll be out." She saw Milk Cookie smiled before the door shut.

-

P

astry Cookie shut the door behind herself, and began walking beside Milk Cookie. "This is the plaza, it's usually super busy at noon, so we've gotten here just on time. What do you want to try first?" Pastry Cookie looked up at the shop signs, before deciding, "The Maison du Cake sounds good." She pointed at the building. "Good choice! Let's go."

The front bell jingled as the two entered the shop, and a white haired cookie popped out from behind the counter. "Hello, hello! Welcome to Maison du Cake! What would you like to order on this beautiful day?" She quickly grabbed a notepad, looking up at Milk and Pastry cookie eagerly. Pastry thought over the menu. "I'll have a strawberry cupcake, please."
The white haired cookie quickly scribbled it down, and looked up expectantly at Milk Cookie. "I'll have a party cupcake." The cookie nodded. "You can have a seat at the window over there! I'll be with you shortly," She said before disappearing into the kitchen.

The two cookies sat down at the table and began talking, Pastry asking questions about her mission, and Milk Cookie constantly changing the serious subject into something fun. Pastry eventually gave up on the subject, finding that she quite enjoyed taking a small break from business. Out of the corner of the window, she thought she spotted long black and red hair. Her eyes widened, Milk Cookie not noticing because he was still talking. "And then we found him, hiding in a tree, with all the missing acorn jellies! Can you believe it? We couldn't even be mad, he's so adorable!" He laughed. Pastry Cookie shook off the thought. "I must be seeing things...." She quickly jumped back into the conversation. "He sounds like a little trouble maker." She laughed a little. "Wow, that's the first time I've seen you laugh. You should really try laughing more." Milk Cookie teased. Pastry smiled slightly and rolled her eyes at his joke. "I don't have a reason to, really. Besides, I'm strictly here on business, you know that."

The two turned at the sound of someone  approaching. The white haired cookie sat the plates down on the table. "Anything else with that?" She smiled at the two. "Not for me, I'm alright. Thank you." The cookie nodded. "What about you, Milk?" Milk Cookie thought for a second. "I'm fine too, thank you!" The cookie nodded again, turning around before stopping as soon as she started. "Oh! I forgot to mention!" She quickly moved back to the table, looking directly at Pastry. "My name is Parfait Cookie, and I couldn't help but notice that you're new in the Kingdom! So, to welcome you, I'd like to give you a free ticket to my concert this upcoming Thursday! I'd love it if you could come!" Parfait Cookie bounced in excitement, holding out a ticket. "Oh, I don't know..." Parfait gave her a pleading look. Pastry sighed. "....I'll think about it." Pastry took  the ticket, placing it in her pocket. "Concerts really aren't my thing, but I don't want to be mean." Pastry smiled softly. "Oh, thank you so much! This really means a lot! I don't really have that many fans so whenever I get anyone to even listen, it makes me so happy!" Her eyes twinkled, displaying her happiness. She turned around, skipping back to the kitchen. "There you go, you've already made a friend! I'm so proud of you." Milk Cookie spoke as if he were a proud dad, wiping a fake tear. "Did not! I don't need friends, they're useless." Pastry defended herself, taking a bite out of her cupcake. "Sure, whatever you say." Milk smiled. He took a bite out of his cupcake too. They sat in comfortable silence. Well, as comfortable as it was going to be with the noise of two cookies yelling at each other in the background.

"I DID NOT! YOU TRICKED ME." A small cookie with a crown yelled. "Yeah well, you fell for it, did you not? You're so gullible, Custard!" Another cookie, one in a cape with a waffle bot headpiece argued back. "THAT'S WHY YOUR WAFFLE FAMILY IS GONE." Custard screamed. "EXCUSE ME? YOU DON'T GET TO TALK ABOUT THEM LIKE THAT." The caped cookie began to yell back. "STRAWBERRY CREPE COOKIE? MORE LIKE STRAWBERRY FAKE DOOKIE." The entire restaurant gasped. Strawberry Crepe looked at Custard with a face of betrayal. "Custard, I trusted you. I thought you were nice. You know what? I'm glad I took your Pokémon cards. I'm going to throw them in the shredder." A cookie with a witch hat interrupted the two. "That's enough." The two cookies froze, slowly turning around to face the witch. "Strawberry Crepe, give Custard his cards back, and both of you need to apologize to each other." She looked at them with a look of disapproval. "Y-yes Miss Latte! We're sorry Miss Latte!" The two cookies apologized, and Strawberry Crepe hesitantly gave Custard his cards back, Custard snatching them instantly. "Thank you." He said, though his face did not match his words. Strawberry Crepe pouted. "I'm sorry for insulting your family and calling you Strawberry Dookie I guess." Crepe looked at him. "I'm sorry for tricking you." Custard looked at Crepe. ".....Can we be freinds again? Only if you promise not to do it again." Custard pretended to think. "Yes." The two hugged, and went back to being friends as if nothing happened.

Pastry Cookie stared. "Wow. That easy? Kids really are something." Milk Cookie nodded. "They're always fighting, but they're the best of friends most of the time. They just can't stay away from each other for more than a few hours.

Pastry smiled to herself. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all. She'd already made two friends, though she'd never admit it, and already felt a little comfortable in this new Kingdom. She wondered what would happen in the next few days....

-

A/N: Thanks for reading! I'm very happy that this book has gotten 60 reads so far. I know its not a lot, but it really is nice to know that people are checking this book out! Finals are coming up, so don't expect too many updates in the next 2 weeks. I'll try though!