Fire and Rain

January 14, 1722

I gazed over my shoulder at the man who was walking towards me, smiling and carrying a rose. 

"Saraphina." He greeted, taking my hand and kissing it. A blush covered my cheeks but the wind blew my hair and covered it up before he could see.

"Your highness." I teased, curtsying.

This was what I loved about being with Gabriel. He was royalty, yes, but he didn't have a big head about it. He loved what I loved. Riding horses, swimming, reading. We were two of the same, so I could be myself around him.

He smiled and pulled the bright red rose from behind his back. "A beautiful rose for a beautiful girl."

I giggled and took the rose, sniffing the sweet smell in. "Thank you. May I ask the occasion?"

"Am I not allowed to get a rose for the girl I love?"

I shook my head, but didn't argue further. He was incredibly stubborn when he wanted to be and there was really no point in wasting my breath. We walked hand in hand towards the pond where my horse stood, chewing on grass.

"Hello again, Majesty." Gabriel said, stroking its white mane.

"So, what are we doing today?" He asked me with a mischievous smile.

"I was thinking of going for a swim." I replied innocently.

He took a step towards me. "Well, we don't have the proper attire for a swim..."

Just as he got close enough to touch my face and lean in for a kiss, I swooped out from under his arm and ran to the pond. He laughed and ran into the water, scooping me up in his arms and twirling me. The water splashed around us, making it feel like rain. I had always loved the rain. It seemed like it could distinguish the bad things. Rain beats fire every time. 

My eyes met his and my breath hitched in my throat.Even though I had known him for years, his beauty still struck me. His dark hair hung in waves around his face, wet in just the right areas. His black eyes were framed with long eyelashes that almost made me jealous and they seemed to be searching my face for something. 

When he set me back down, I tried to avert my gaze and grabbed his hand, leading him further into the clear blue water.

My long white night gown was long ruined, but I didn't mind. I would happily dress in rags for a sliver of time with Gabriel.

When we got about knee deep, I stopped and turned to Gabriel.

His pupils were specked with light pink and I smiled. His eyes were rare and beautiful, ever changing to the color of his emotions.

"May I tell you something, Saraphina?" He asked nervously.

"Of course, anything." I said, letting him take my hand and lead me back to shore.

"I want you to know that I am leaving tomorrow for two months. My father wants me to stay there. He says I should like it better there. But...I have a reason to come back now. I love you, Saraphina, and if you will have me, I would like you to be my wife when I return." By this point, he was on one knee.

I was far too shocked to say anything. So many girls in the kingdom would be jumping over bridges to be with the prince. One of them was actually arranged to marry him. He had told me before, though, that he would talk to his father about her during the trip. Not for a second did I doubt he loved me, his eyes showed that he did, but would this mean I would become a royal? 

Would I have to become queen one day? Would I have the responsibility Gabriel so hated?

Did any of that matter?