☞Conciousness: Gone

Bắt đầu từ đầu

You logged out of the computer, gathering whatever information you needed to be able to help someone. You licked your lips, trying to damp them, but with no avail.

"Y/N go home."

Ethan was beginning to annoy you. But you knew if it weren't for your inability to stay healthy, you would feel flattered by his concern.

"You go home," you told him, hating how childish you sounded. "And let me do my job."

"I'm worried about you." Said Ethan, standing in front of you when you tried to leave.

"Well don't-" you began, and never finished because the next thing you knew, instead of winning an argument and walking away like a queen, your knees bucked, and you fell straight forward into his arms.

Consciousness: gone.

Nonexistent.

***

The next time you won over your unconsciousness, your eyes met the ceiling of a hospital room. Only in the ER could a bed be so uncomfortable it hurt your back. For a moment you were sure to file a report to ensure new, upgraded mattresses because god forbid anyone who lied on them got better.

You liked to think they did, get better, otherwise your treatments would go down the drain.

And equivalently, your migraines (plus this fiasco, whatever it was) would be for nothing as well.

There was a light knock of some sort that was enough to bring you out of whatever fixed trans you were in. You brought your head up to look at the intruder and immediately groaned, "No way. You're my doctor?"

Ethan's chuckle reasoned through when your head flopped back on the pillow, "How are you feeling, doctor?"

You opened one eye and directed it at him, hoping you looked intimidating, "I was just thinking about filing a report. These beds are just awful."

"I believe you," he agreed, eyes scanning the monitor.

Now that you were feeling better, your colleague's athletic built was a fine view for your sore eyes. You could help but raise an interested eyebrow over the one eye that was opened. The nurse behind him noticed and burst into laughter.

You glared at her.

"Is there a problem?" Ethan asked, looking between you two for a good moment.

The nurse coughed, composing herself, not before sending you a wink. She proceeded to excuse herself, the matchmaker, saying how she trusted two doctors enough to find a cure to another doctor's troubles. Whatever she meant by that.

It's not like you had a never-before-heard-of disease.

She left swiftly, and Ethan turned to look your way, a small smirk appearing on his face upon noticing how both your eyes were wide and concentrated on the visible aspects of his body. "You good?"

"Mhmm," you spoke up, eyes fixed on his flexing muscles. The drugs were doing a marvelous job at hiding your attraction, "Peachy."

You licked your lips and Ethan had to swallow.

He spoke up, trying to level his voice, "I'm not going to tell you 'I told you so' but-"

"You kinda did."

Ethan laughed, "I kinda did."

"Well, sorry doctor I Know Everything."

"Apology accepted," he mused, bringing a hand to your forehead. "Believe it or not, you've moderate fever."

Ethan whipped out a thermometer, and you had to withhold a groan. "Is this really necessary?"

"You passed out in the middle of your shift," he informed you, looking smug as he did so. "It's quite necessary, give me a finger, please."

After a series of check-ups, with him asking questions and doing things, you were finally cleared to go.

Home.

"Ethan, I'm begging you," you said as you pulled on your shoes. The doctor of the day was leaning against the wall, watching you like a hawk. "I'll get down on my knees if you want to."

Then a cough fit attacked him, and it took a while until he regained himself. Just then, when his eyes went over your civilian outfit, did you realize what you said. "I-I didn't mean-"

He stopped you by cutting you off, a glimmer of newfound excitement in his eyes. "While that is a very tempting idea, I will have to turn it down."

You didn't know if you should feel sad or relieved.

Sad.

Yeah, sad.

"For now."

Fate was smiling at you, and god if you weren't thrilled to have fainted.