"Try behind the painting," he suggested once he caught his breath. Axel continued singing while you moved the painting.

Thankfully, the lever was right there. You pulled it and the corner of the closet opened for you to drop down. Hotch went first to make sure nothing was down there with his gun, then motioned you to come along. It was dark and smelled of marijuana. Axel was never one to smoke so you weren't sure why it smelled that way but was only focused on getting out of this place.

You hoped that whatever was in the envelope would give you some sort of piece of mind even if it wasn't the full thing. You knew that you had to write your entry and planned on it as soon as you could. The case should be over soon. The team must be wondering where Hotch is but his phone has stayed silent the entire time. Rossi most likely took over for the meantime. You gripped onto his hand as he pulled you through the dark tunnel.

You were overwhelmed with the realization that you could've been caught by him. Axel could've found you and you would be stuck in the same situation as before. Deep down you knew Hotch wouldn't let that happen. He was armed with two guns and a sense of pride that would override anyone, even yourself.

"Slow down," you laughed as he pulled you quickly. "We already got this far."

"We have a life to return to," he said. "I have a case to study and you have a criminal to talk to."

You groaned. "I forgot I'm supposed to be consulting in this case. Couldn't you have come up with a better lie- like I was just bored and needed some distraction?"

"That's not what you wanted the team to know," his steps slowed down until they completely stopped and you were nearly pressed against his broad chest. "I know you were nervous about this and you thought the team would doubt you."

You look away from him, ashamed at how easily he could read you. The adrenaline was wearing off and you could remember how terrified and unsure you were about doing this. But you reminded yourself that it was over know even if you came close to Axel. Your trust for Hotch was only growing by the day.

"I just didn't think that I'd be strong enough to do it," you admitted quietly. "But you were there and we did it quickly- that's all that I could ever ask for. Thank you, Aaron."

You smiled up at him. "I would do anything you needed Y/N. I know this is important to you," he places a hand on your cheeks, moving his thumb back and forth.

"I didn't know that you took my needs into consideration," you whisper breathlessly.

"I have everyday. I know your tells, your truths, your beauty, what makes you cry and what makes you laugh. You're the only consideration I've ever taken, sweetheart."

Your heart fluttered at his kind words. You came to think that last night was not a mistake. You felt more than ready to share yourself with him, you just didn't want to get ahead of yourself. You're recovering from Axel and Hotch is the one of who saved you, it seemed cliche to have a forbidden crush on a man who is your superior.

But a little crush never hurt anyone. A blush coated your cheeks so quickly that you had to let your head drop to look at your feet. Hair covered your face as you composed yourself. "I um- I didn't think that you cared all that much. I was always in my office and never hung around the team, how could you catch onto my tells so quickly?"

He chuckled, "That's why they are called tells. Every-time you came to the team to decline an offer to go out, you would start to braid a small piece of your hair. When you were anxious about talking to a criminal, you would bite the inside of your cheek. And when you do something exciting, you have shaken hands...just like now."