21. Why Fury's Wrong

Start from the beginning

"Okay. I'll be there in a minute," I answer before hopping off of the bed and rummaging around in my room for all of the needed school supplies for the day. Placing them all in my backpack, I zip up the zipper and walk into the kitchen.

Sitting down at the counter, Aunt May slides over a plate of eggs along with some apple juice, "Here you go honey. I'm glad that I was able to see you before I have to leave for work today. I'll still be there when you get home, but I should be back around seven-thirty or so."

"Sounds good. Hey, guess what I finished setting up last night!"

"What?"

"Spider-Man's new phone!"

Aunt May smiles at me, her eyes twinkling with adoration, "Really? So does that mean that you can call 911 and the police operators now?"

"Yup!" A smile spreads across my face, "Now I don't have to worry about getting someone else to place a call, especially if there's nobody available around. Now Spider-Man can just use his own untraceable phone. It'll solve so many annoyances!"

After placing my dishes in the sink, I swing my backpack onto my shoulders and turn back to Aunt May, "You know, thinking about it, I could even give the phone's number to people who would need to get in touch with Spider-Man. People like Greg."

"I think that Greg would very much appreciate that," Hugging me and giving me a kiss on the top of my head, Aunt May opens the door and starts to shoo me out, "Now get out of here before you're late to school you little rascal!"

"Okay, okay!" I laugh, "Oh! Don't forget that you now have FABAE on your phone if you need her. And I finished that earpiece for you too, it's sitting on the living room table. I have mine in, so maybe you should put yours in too," I tell her, tapping the ear where my connection to FABAE resides.

A big smile is sent my way, "Will do. I'll see you later. Larb you!"

"Larb you too!" I wave at her before turning around and starting the walk to school.

*     *     *     *

School is... school. There's really no better way to describe it because there's nothing that can convey the unique mix of emotions that the word "school" brings to every student and teacher in the universe every time they even think about it.

With that in mind, I'm relieved to find myself yet again plopping down at our lunch table next to Ned in order to complain about the mundane of life, "Neeeddddd. Math class is next but it's just a catch-up day and I'm already all caught up because I'm more scared of what the wrath of May will do to me if I procrastinate than anything else. So that means I'll have absolutely nothing to dooooo."

MJ sets her tray down across from us and gives me a dreary glare, "Boo hoo to you nerd. We have a test next period."

"And I'm so not ready," Ned complains as he drops his head onto the notebooks in front of him with a thunk.

My gaze glances back and forth between them with sympathy, "Well that sucks."

MJ snorts.

A comfortable silence surrounds us for a few minutes before I'm struck with the realization that I haven't caught my two best friends up on my alter ego yet, "Guys! You won't believe what happened last night," Expanding my senses, I double check that there's no one who will overhear me before I continue, "Spider-Man had to fight the Avengers, and he won."

For once, MJ doesn't have a quick response, instead sitting in stunned silence before speaking, "Wow, I'm actually impressed."

"What happened? How'd you fight them? Are you okay?"