For a moment, Hope seems to freeze before her shoulders drop down. "Ok, and how do we get inside Malivore, besides him eating us?"

"Malivore thinks that being inside Landon's body is protecting him," MG explains, "but the way I see it, that's his greatest weakness which Kaleb and I can exploit with our vampire strength."

Hope nods with a small smile. "The exhaust port on the Death Star."

"Exactly!" Lizzie exclaims. Everyone looks back at her. "Sorry."

"It's a good plan," Hope says. "Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"Because of the way you are when it comes to Landon," Kaleb replies.

Aaron nods. "Don't get us wrong, you're our strongest member, but we only have one shot at this. We can't have you..." He pauses and purses his lips.

"We can't have you going off the rails and blowing everything up," Kaleb finishes.

"I wouldn't do that," Hope says. Stella inhales sharply and clicks her tongue as she glances around, finding the other students doing the same. "Is that seriously what you guys think?"

Scratching her cheek, Stella says with a wince, "To be fair, the last time this happened, you kidnapped my girlfriend and blackmailed me into opening a pocket dimension."

"Which I apologized for."

"We know you, Hope," Josie says solemnly. "That's why we put up the barrier spell in the first place."

"We thought maybe you should sit this one out," Lizzie adds.

It takes Hope a moment to respond. "I'm totally on board. Cleo's our best chance to bring both her and Landon back—I would never jeopardize that. I'm really sorry that you guys think I would. But, I can help. I will help, so please, just let me."

Stella catches Isaac looking at Vanessa. "I say we vote," Vanessa says. "Easiest way to deal with this."

The vote narrowly goes in Hope's favor. The only reason she made it was because Lizzie changed her vote when there was a tie. Stella, Isaac, and Josie voted for her to stay away; the rest voted for her help. They quickly set a plan, a comprehensive one that involves steps and backups which their plans almost never have.

Just before Lizzie, Isaac, and Hope leave to enact the first stage, Hope pulls Stella aside. Stella averts her gaze and stares down at her feet as a grey cat walks up to her and begs to be held, sitting in front of her and letting his fluffy tail sway. Stella opens her arms for Sir Arthur Meatball to climb against her.

"Why did you vote against me?" Hope asks when they step out of view. "I thought we were good."

"Wasn't personal," Stella mutters. Chancing a look up, she finds nothing but confusion in Hope's expression: no anger. "Look, Hope, I know you apologized, and I appreciate it, but I can't just instantly go back to trusting you with this again. I royally pissed Malivore off. We have one shot at this, and I need it to work. I can't deal with Malivore and Fenrir and all this other bullshit if I'm worried about you. I'm not my mom, I can't balance everything. Taking you out of the equation felt safer. I need safe right now."

"I am sorry, Stella," Hope replies, tentatively reaching up to brush Arthur's fur. "It was stupid and wrong, and I can't promise I won't do it again, but I can promise that I'm trying. I don't want to be the bad guy."

"You're not." Stella shakes her head. "You're just not the good guy yet."

~~~~~

"I know there is a rage waiting to burst forward from inside you, like a spring exploding from the depths of winter. I can see how you want to let go, be free of earthly responsibilities. You have that chance now."