Chapter Sixteen: The Storm

Start from the beginning

"Bianca," She calls, after pausing for the dramatic, "Have you started writing anything for Claudette?"

Now that the attention is on me, I glance around uncomfortably, "Okay, no.." I blurt, letting the peer pressure of everyone's stares get to me, "But, to be fair, I got a job now, so I've kinda been consumed with work."

Miss Jenn sighs, though it was more in understanding than defeat. But it still made my heart ache, feeling like I let her down.

She nods, "Okay. But I expect to have, at least, two notes of the song by the end of this month."

"Totally." I assure, nodding, before glancing over uncomfortably—my tone was weak.

"Carlos, take it away.." Miss Jenn gestures at him as he stood beside her.

"As our head choreographer, I am so happy to announce that today we will, at last, begin rehearsing one of the most showstopping, iconic, and bar-raising numbers of the entire show." He explains.

"Be Our Guest." Gina chimes in, approaching Carlos, "Yeah, it has to be Be Our Guest, guys."

As the room goes silent, Gina grows confused. We have been uncomfortable as a result of Gina and Carlos' inability to establish a civil partnership. They are too competitive.

"What?" She blurts, her gaze on my best friend.

"Before we begin," Miss Jenn starts, breaking the uncomfortable and awkward silence, "I'm going to tell you a little story about hospitality..."

"Maybe we should..." Carlos quietly attempts to intervene, but our drama teacher cuts him off.

"Once, when I was a little girl, my mom and I heard a clatter come from the kitchen. We thought it was a burglar. So my mom ran over, hog-tied the man, and promptly called the police." She explains, and Ashlyn gasps.

"As we waited for the cops to come, I watched my mother place a bowl of iced tea next to his face. "Because," she said, "until the police come and get him, he's still our guest."

"That's horrifying." I mutter, dumbfounded.

"So, did he, like, get arrested or..." Kourtney questions, puzzled.

"No. Turns out, it wasn't a burglar at all, just a repairman who entered the wrong unit." Miss Jenn informs.

My brows furrow, "And he didn't tell you guys that before she hog-tied him?" I question, earning a chorus of laughter from the room.

"The point remains the same." Our drama teacher blurts, "Just like our intruder, we need to make Belle and our entire audience feel welcomed. And with that, Carlos and Gina, take it away." She concludes, and only Ashlyn applauds.

"Thank you, Miss Jenn, that wasn't terrifying at all." Gina sarcastically starts, picking up the feather duster, "Okay, so. My vision to make this dance really soar is to stage... wait for it, a Cancan-style dance that features a feather-dusting spectacle. I don't know, it'll probably go a little something like..."

We applaud her as she makes a big pause to demonstrate the move.

"Interesting." Carlos sarcastically blurts, with a forced grin on his face, "I had a different path that's a little more elevated and less basic."

He looks in our direction, now facing away from a slightly annoyed Gina, "Think. A noir-inspired performance that Lumiere guides our audience through the entire time."

I shrug and casually defend Carlos, "I mean, he does sing the song."

My best friend pointed at me with "See!" written in the gesture. Gina rolls her eyes.