A Strange Halloween Day

"That's not fair," Max whined, "all my friends are going trick or treating by themselves or with their best friend."

"Sorry, but you're not old enough to go out on your own." Mom sighed, "We always talk about this every year."

"I think I can go on my own!" Max shouted while stomping up the stairs. At least I'll have a new costume Max thought. He ran to his room, expecting a new costume. Max could not believe his eyes. It was his dinky old last year skeleton costume. It wasn't even a cool costume. His friends were all getting new cool costumes. His costume was just a sweatshirt that had bones on it. Another way to ruin today. Ugh. Max thought. Max slowly changed into his costume, thinking about what other people would think. Max could already hear his 5-year-old sister, Mary's footsteps running down the stairs. 

"Time to go!" Mom yelled. Max was still changing. Max saw so many people, as he walked out the door. He tried to hide behind his mom. I bet they think I look terrible, thought Max. They went to the first house and it was more spooky than the other houses down this street. The house had scary decorations from roof to bottom. The house had a projection of pumpkins all over the house and pumpkins on the front yard in every place imaginable. It had lights shaped like bats draped on top. Plus, webs draped on the bushes and pumpkins.

Ding dong! Max was scared of what people would think of this dinky old costume. Someone from inside opened the door. Max stepped inside and got tons of candy. His bright orange candy basket was almost half full. He had some candy that everybody had. For example, there were Skittles, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Candy Corn, Tootsie Rolls, toffee, Starburst, Haribo. Max also saw candy he had never ever seen in his life. At least I'll get good candy, Max thought. Max turned around to show all the great candy he got to his parents. As he turned around they were gone nowhere to be seen. He could only see Mary looking around.

 "Stop trying to hide, we're not playing hide and seek" Max scolded, "stop tricking us to come out of your hiding spot." Max did not see anybody get out of any hiding spot. He didn't hear the laughing of his mother and father.  

"I'm being serious," Max shouted. No answer. His parents were G-O-N-E GONE! Mary's face had tears streaming down her face. Max was scared. He had never felt this way before. Max was almost about to cry himself. He never felt so helpless. 

"It's okay we'll find them." Max told Mary, don't worry." "Wait I know, I can try to call them or use the app Find My iPhone," Max exclaimed. Max took out his iPhone and it didn't turn on. Ugh!           "The batteries are dead," Max sighed. One good idea down the drain.

"Let's walk around the neighborhood." Max saw his friends together looking lost. He ran over.         "Hey, Ed. Could you help me, I can't find my parents." Sure, but I can't find my parents either. I guess we're both in the same boat."

"Ever since I walked to that extra spooky house I turned around not seeing anybody. I tried calling them but it didn't work. It wasn't the battery though. '' Oh so I'm not the only one with this problem, '' Max thought. They all walked through the neighborhood. 

"All this walking sure makes me hungry." Max groaned. "Yeah it sure does, let's eat some candy. I think we walked in a circle," said Ed. Ed, Max, and Mary are munching candy. They each picked 3 candies from their baskets. Max picked a Nestle Crunch, Fun Dip, and a bundle of Warheads. He could feel the sour crystals touching his lips. Max liked candy but did not like sour things as much as sweet things. Sweet things to Max always had a burst of flavor. Sour things had a burst of flavor too but not in a good way. Max ate it anyway. Ed picked a Heath bar, Pixy Stix, and a Tootsie Roll. Mary ate Sweetarts, Kit Kat, and a little bag of Pocky. Mary did not like candy much. She really liked Pocky though. Soon they were energized, and ready to finish their journey.           They walked back to the extra spooky house. It felt like we were walking forever. They finally got there, which felt 1,000,000 years. They rang the doorbell. No answer. They knocked on the door. No answer.

"Great. Another idea down the drain. Wait, I have an idea, let's try to get in my house." Max said, "if not we're going to the state Governor Phil Murphy to address this situation." They did the same thing at Max's house. Nothing happened. "You can try the garage door code thingamajiggy," Mary exclaimed. Max tried and it worked! They checked everywhere but, there wasn't anybody in the house

"How are we supposed to get to the state governor?" Ed asked. Max had already thought of this.           "We will get there by train," Max stated. "Have you thought about money and tickets?" questioned Ed. "Yes, maybe there is money in here," Max told. They looked and looked and found some of their parents' money and used that. I hope they don't mind, well they shouldn't this is an emergency, Max thought.

 "We will go on a bus. The nearest one is probably Tennent Rd." They walked for 10 minutes and got there. They gave the bus driver some money and went on. When they got there they bought train tickets and had only 10 dollars left. Finally, they got there and they walked in.

"Hello, what is the problem or whatever?" asked the governor. "We want to get back home. And our parents are missing," responded Max. "This is not home?" asked the governor. "No." they all responded. " I can't do stuff like that only the president can, which is not too far from New Jersey." Why do all ideas go down drains??!!, they all thought. (Other than Mary who doesn't get anything. 

"You can go to the airport and get tickets to go to Washington D.C.," Phil Murphy said." We don't have the money for that," exclaimed Max. "I'll buy tickets for you then," he responded. They all gave confused looks. 

"I am doing this because we use money for a reason, for people in need and you are one of those people." "Thank you." they all said with a sigh of relief. They all boarded the plane and got there quickly. Then they took a bus to the White House. The president was outside so they talked to him right then and there. After a long explanation, President Barack Obama. Led them to a room of doors.

"Go into that one on the very left and you'll be home in no time." Barack Obama said. They thanked him and went home. It felt like everything was spinning but as quickly as it had started it stopped.

He was back exactly where he started. "Sorry about yelling about not being able to go trick or treating with a friend. I learned not to be too overconfident." Max said with tears in his eyes. Mom was astonished. "It's okay. I'm glad you learned that." Mom responded. What a day, thought Max. "Mom, you know it's fun to trick or treat with you." Max blurted. Mom smiled so did Max. Trick or treating with his family is actually the best!