I. Crossing Of England

The Curse of the Black Pearl

I. Crossing Of England

8 Years Ago

A gray, impenetrable wall of fog was graced above the ocean. From somewhere comes the faint sound of a little girl's voice, singing, slow tempo, almost under her breath. Suddenly a massive ship emerges from the grey. It was a British dreadnought, the H.M.S. Dauntless. Formidable, frightening, twenty-five gun ports on each side, and rail guns.

"Yo, ho, yo, ho, a pirate's life for me. Yo, ho, yo, ho, it's a pirate's life for me." The little girl, Marissa sang. Marissa Swann standing on the railing of the bow, gazing at the seas, still singing. "Drink up me hearties, yo, ho."

A man who was born old clad in dark leather, clutches her shoulder, startling her the child. "Quiet, missy! Cursed pirates sail these waters. You want to call 'em down on us?" Marissa stares wide-eyed at him.

"Mr. Gibbs." James Norrington, a dashing young man, officer of the British Royal Navy and the East India Trading Company glares sternly at Gibbs. Standing besides him is Governor Weatherby Swann, a man of obvious high station and his eldest daughter and Marissa's sister, Elizabeth.

"That will do." Norrington continued.

"She was singing about pirates. Bad luck to sing about pirates with us mired in this unnatural fog-- mark my words." Gibbs replied.

"Consider them marked. On your way." Norrington commanded.

"Aye, Captain. Bad luck to have a women on board, too. Even mini'ture ones." Gibbs said as he returns to his deck-swabbing duties, surreptitiously takes a quick swig from flask.

Elizabeth walked over to her sister standing at the railing of the bow. "He's right, Marissa. Pirates are foul things."

"Oh boo, Elizabeth. I think it would be rather exciting to meet a pirate. You don't think so?" Marissa asked.

Before Elizabeth could answer Norrington spoke up. "Think again, Miss Swann. Vile and dissolute creatures, the lot of them. I intend to see to it that any man who sails under a pirate flag, or wears a pirates brand gets what he deserves: a short drop and a sudden stop."

Marissa didn't know what "a short drop and a sudden stop" means. She turns to Mr. Gibbs who mimes a man being hung.

"Captain Norrington, I appreciate your fervor, but I am concerned about the effect this subject will have on my daughters." Governor Swann said.

"My apologies, Governor." Norrington apologized.

"Actually, I find it all fascinating." Marissa spoke up again.

"Well you shouldn't." Elizabeth pleaded.

"And that's what concerns me. Marissa, we will be landing in Port Royal very soon, and beginning our new lives. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we comport ourselves as befits our class and station?"

"Yes, father." Marissa said chastised and she turns away to look out over the bow rail. "I still think it would be exciting to meet a pirate." Marissa said to herself.

The fog still hems in the ship; very little of the sea is visible but suddenly, a figure comes into view. A young boy, floating on his back in the water. There is nothing to show where he came from, or how he came to be there.

Marissa's eyes widened with fear. "Look! A boy! In the water!"

Norrington, Governor Swann and Elizabeth run to bow rail and spot him. "Man overboard! Fetch a hook! Haul him out of there!" Norrington commanded.

Quick movement and activity on the deck. Sailors use a boathook to snag the boy he the passes. Norrington and Governor Swann haul him aboard, and lay him on the deck. Marissa sidles in for a closer look whilst Elizabeth tries to pull her away.

"He's still breathing." Norrington continued.

"Where did he come from?" Governor Swann questioned.

"Mary mother of God." Gibbs gasped.

Everyone except Marissa turned their attention away from the boy. The sea is no longer empty. wreckage from a ship litters the water, along with the bodies of its crew. What is left of the ship's hull burns, a ragged British flag hanging limply from the stern. The H.M.S. Dauntless slips silently through it all. The hushed everyone's voice.

"What happened here?" Governor Swann said in awe at the scene before him.

"An explosion in the powder magazine. Merchant vessels run heavily armed." Norrington reassured.

"Lot of good it did them." Gibbs said looking at Governor Swann. "Everyone's thinking it! I'm just saying it! Pirates!"

"There is no proof of that. It could have been an accident. Captain, these men were protection. If there is even the slightest chance one of those poor devils is still alive, we cannot abandon them!" Governor Swann said.

"Of course not, Governor." Norrington turned to the crew. Come about and strike the sails! Unlash the boats! Gunnery crew jackets off the cannons!" Norrington then turned to Governor Swann. "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst." Then he spoke to two sailors. "Move the boy aft. We'll need the deck clear."

They lift the boy. Governor Swann pulls Marissa away from the rail, away from the hideous scene in the water. "Marissa, I want you to accompany the boy. He's in your charge now. You'll watch over him?"

Marissa nods gravely. Governor Swann hurries away to help unstow the longboat. The sailors lay the boy gently on the poop deck, behind the wheel, then hurry off. Marissa kneels down beside the boy. She reaches out, gently brushes the hair from his eyes.

Suddenly, he grabs her wrist, awake now. Marissa is startled, but their eyes lock. She takes his hand in hers. "It's okay my name is Marissa Swann."

"Will Turner." He gasps.

"I'm watching over you, Will." She replies in a gentle tone.

He clutches her hands, then slips back into unconsciousness. His movement has opened the collar of his shirt, Marissa sees he wears a chain around his neck. She tugs it free, revealing a gold medallion. One side is blank. She turns it over a skull gazes up at her. Vaguely Aztec in design, but to her eyes, it means one thing only:

"You're a pirate!" Marissa exclaimed.

She glances back at the crew. Sees Norrington, giving orders, moving toward her. She looks back at Will comes to a quick decision. Takes
the medallion from around his neck. Hides it behind her back.

Norrington arrives. "Did he speak?"

"His name is Will Turner - that's all I found out." Marissa replied as if she didn't nothing happened.

"Very good."

Norrington hurries off. Marissa examines the gold medallion. A wisp of wind, and she looks up out over the sea. Something is moving through the fog, silent as a ghost, it is a large sailing ship, with black sails.

Marissa stares, too frightened to move, or cry out. The ship is obscured by the fog it as it passes but not the flag and there hangs the frightening skull and crossbones of the Jolly Roger.

Marissa looks from it to the medallion the skull on the flag is the same as the one on the medallion. Fog surrounds and closes in on the black ship except for the black flag. As Marissa watches, she shuts her eyes tight.