CHAPTER 2

As advised by my PT, I jogged every morning around the World Park which was right smack between the Berkeley and Reagan campuses. Good thing the Sports Fest was in a few days so those who used to hang around the park especially the girls, were stalking the players on the Berkeley grounds. This time, I followed the advice of my doctor to wear knee supporters and take it easy because the last time I didn't, earned me another injury. I've already had a lot of injuries for the past year I didn't want to add to that. Not when I was still nursing a seemingly incurable pain around the chest area.

My mind was somewhere between keeping a leisurely pace and wanting to increase speed that I didn't notice a guy blocking my way. I almost collided with Geovanne Estevez.

"Woah, woah, woah..." He stopped me with both arms stretched out to hold me at the shoulders.

Peeved that my momentum had been broken, I pulled my headset from my ears. "What are you doing here?" I snapped. It was only past 6AM and he was already interrupting people from their quiet reverie.

But he ignored my unpleasant mood so early in the morning and gave me a quick embrace instead. "It's good to see you, too."

"Yeah, but what are you doing here?" I repeated, this time, feeling a little calmer after the gesture. That was an immediate effect whenever he was around, freely giving hugs to those who needed it.

He looked at me like I have grown a second head. "The World Park is a neutral ground."

"Oh, right," I commented, a few seconds later, recalling belatedly that indeed, the World Park was accessible to all students of both campuses.

"Have you had breakfast?" he asked after letting me catch my breath.

Before I could refuse him, he was already guiding me back to my dormitory. I thought he was just going to make sure I didn't jog anymore. But then he actually stepped inside the lobby and didn't stop there. "Boys are not allowed inside the—"

"Good morning, Ate," he beamed at the lady guard who positively blushed and was rendered speechless, unable to reprimand Geo from violating the rules.

"Hey, I don't want to get into trouble," I hissed at him.

"Relax. Berkeley athletes are allowed entry in Reagan premises for two weeks."

"This is the dorm. Not the school."

"I'm a Berkeley Student Officer, and I'm in charge of the photo wall that will be showcased during the Sports Fest. I need to be everywhere in the campus. Besides, I'm just here to meet my media partner. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't mind."

If by 'they' he meant the management, he was right. They let him breeze by. But he missed out on the other type of 'they' who were now gawking at us. They obviously minded his presence. And they were telepathically telling me that it was so mean of me to let Geo see them in their make-up free state. Like I was in a better state? I mean, I was sweaty from the jog and probably looked even worse than they did. Not that it was a big deal.