Sing It Louder

Cover by akacute. Thanks for reading!

Sing It Louder

I don't know what to do. My first ever solo show starts in two minutes. My long, silky blonde hair is curled and I'm pretty sure my makeup is perfection.

This is probably the scariest moment of my life.

Hi, my name is Mary Hills. My whole life, all I've dreamed of was to perform on stage and become a famous singer. To become a superstar. Someone that little girls and maybe boys can look up to. Someone that sets trends and makes in onto every single magazine in the world.

That's all that I wanted to be.

Throughout my years, I've taken courses for singing, I've entered competitions. I went into a highschool for performing arts. I did it all on my own. My parents always supported me and encouraged me, but they had to work. They didn't pay that much attention.

Oh, I hope they're proud.

My dress is a long, classic gold sparkling fireball. The bottom is adorned with a bunch of glitzy, big chucky crystals. They come all the way up to my waist and then it's just a bunch of gold silk.

I helped design it.

I love it so much. It reminds me of Katniss Everdeen's famous fire dress she wore at her interview with Cinna.

That's right, I'm hunger games obsessed.

You can't blame me, Jennifer Lawrence is like God.

I can hear the clapping now. I guess they introduced me. Oh my gosh, this is horrible. I can feel my palms sweating. I have to go out, but I feel stuck.

"Good luck!" the lady in charge of the lights smiles at me and pushes me towards the curtains more.

"Thanks," I mumble, wiping my hands on my dress. I hope they can't tell I'm that nervous.

After finishing highschool, I went to a university dedicated to singing. I made through billions of competitions, always in the top three. When I won the most important one and signed a contract, they flew me to New York and here I am. Waiting to see if the world loves me and my voice.

I feel pretty, so that's a good thing right?

Yeah, I need more confidence.

The red curtains are riding up now. I can hear gasps. Yes, my dress is that beautiful.

The music is starting and I can feel my throat close up. Don't, please don't.

When I find my parents in the front row, smiling at me and tearing up. I smile. This is what I was made for. This is the real me.

All I have to do is sing it louder.