Knee Socks

It was a slightly chillier day as the start of winter was approaching. After experimenting on her new, unexpected instrument, (turns out she's actually not terrible) Adelaide decided she was going to head out to the cafe again, but she needed to change out of her pyjamas first.

She quickly settled on a brown knitted jumper with a plaid skirt and knee socks to ensure her legs some warmth from the bitter morning. Slipping on her shoes and grabbing her car keys, she left her house.

She soon arrived at the cafe, and was greeted by not only Leila's warm smile, but a familiar face that she just pretended she hadn't noticed. As she put her keys in her bag, she heard a slight cough from his direction.

Is he trying to get my attention?

Once again, she chose to pretend she hadn't heard it. Awkward.

"Hey Leila!" Adelaide said cheerfully, resting her arms upon the counter top.

"Hey! Your usual in a to-go cup even though you're going to sit in?" Leila said, quickly glancing at Alex.

"Oui!" Adelaide said as she put her card into the machine that Leila had already given her. After a few short minutes, Adelaide's coffee was placed in front of her, snapping her out of her daydream.

As Adelaide was about to pass Alex's table, he spoke. "Bonjour, Adelaide." This caused her to turn around with a slight cringe on her face at his somewhat terrible pronunciation.

Pulling out the chair opposite Alex, she said down. "Bon matin, Alex." She spoke, placing her bag on the back of the chair as she put her coffee in front of her.

"Ay, what's that face for?" Alex remarked, pretended to be offended.

"Oh nothing," Adelaide said, holding back her laugh as she swallowed down her coffee, "Bohn-jor." She mimicked in his deep voice and thick British accent, not able to hold her laugh back any longer.

"Now, it wasn't that bad." Alex protested, smiling a little bit.

"Well it certainly wasn't fabulous." Adelaide replied wittily.

"Well, good morning to you too, sunshine." Alex said, picking up his mug of steaming coffee and placing it on his lips, taking a slow sip.

"No book today?" Alex questioned as he placed his mug back down on the table. He was looking at her with the same deep, intimidating eyes that made her cheeks rise in temperature.

"Not today. Had a funny feeling I'd have some company." She said as she smiled playfully at him.

"Oh yeah, whatever." Alex said.

A silence followed. Not an uncomfortable one. It was a silence that carried its own conversation for people that could handle that. Alex and Adelaide were these kind of people.

"Oh, I've got a funny story for you." Adelaide said, breaking the silence. Without waiting to see if Alex wanted to hear it, she continued, "So, basically, whenever I get drunk I have a tendency to impulsively buy things, and one night in the middle of August, I happen to have bought quite an expensive piano. The funny thing is, I can't even play the piano." She was rambling now, and because she was, the French accent became more and more prominent.

"Look, love, I'm not gunna lie, I barely heard the last half of that little anecdote." Alex chuckled.

"Ah, merde, sorry, I've also got a tendency to speak with a very thick French accent or just in French completely when I'm rambling or ranting, or angry. Or just anything of the sort." She said, finishing her coffee.

"Summat about a piano?" Alex questioned, placing his too empty coffee cup on the table.

"Yeah, I bought an expensive one when I was drunk." Adelaide said plainly.