Apocalyptic Otters & Talking Teacups

Oh, all that I know,
There's nothing here to run from...

"I don't know about you but I was expecting a bit more fanfare," Flynn said to Clara as Judson led them to the lift.

"What, you want me to throw a ticker tape parade in your honour?" Clara retorted.

"No, I thought there would be more to this than just attending a job interview," Flynn flared up.

"We like to maintain a low profile," Judson said, gesturing for them to step forwards, "discretion is the better part of valour and so forth."

Clara just jabbed the button, acting on auto-pilot, Flynn's observation irking her underneath her apparent disinterest. There was a catch somewhere, and again, she couldn't quite catch the catch. She was still suspicious of Judson, of how much he knew, not understanding how he knew at all. It was all rather literally before his time, and the only obvious explanation was that magic was involved in some mystical way, nothing changing, then or now.

"Apocalyptic otters and talking teacups?" Flynn said suddenly, startling Clara.

"And don't forget the Christmas puddings," Judson said lightly, "I have quite the fondness for them. Such erudite afters, their patter perfect for the palate. "

"The Christmas puddings can communicate?" Flynn burst out.

"They really are the dearest little things," Judson said evasively, "and here we are!" he exclaimed, as the lift doors juddered open, revealing the Library as Clara had never seen it before, even as it was curiously familiar at the same time.

"If we shadows have offended..." Flynn whispered his dark eyes becoming as big as dinner-plates, "...think but this... and all is mended. That we have but slumber'd here... whilst these visions did appear..."

"Ah, old Will," Judson reminisced, clapping his hands together, before leading the way.

Clara stepped forwards, recognizing a display case there, whilst recalling an artefact elsewhere, some exhibits not even acquired yet, everything a friend and a stranger all at once.

"The Ark of the Covenant?" Flynn breathed, Judson slapping his hand away as Flynn reverently reached for it.

"You'll turn into a toad if you touch it," Judson reprimanded, "so don't, not unless you fancy spending the rest of your days in my ornamental pond."

Flynn just swallowed hard, his eyes still wide with wonder, unable to believe what he was seeing.

"Is it meant to do that?" Clara frowned, studying the Ark from all angles, trying to work out what was wrong with it, only seeing the usual setim wood and gold overlay.

"It passed through many hands before it came into our possession," Judson explained, eying the Ark with regret, "it's never been the same since."

"Where is the Emerald of Exon?" Clara then asked, brow furrowing further as she recalled Jenkins's story of how Judson had duelled with an ancient sorcerer for the stone in question, almost losing his ears along the way.

"It's here somewhere," Judson said vaguely. "It likes to stretch its legs once in a while."

"Are we on TV?" Flynn said in a strangely high voice. "Is this one of those hidden camera shows?"

"Mr. Carsen" -

- "Just call me Flynn," Flynn laughed, nervously tugging on his tie, "Mr. Carsen makes me sound like a third grade science teacher."

"Flynn, you are going to be the protector of all this," Judson said sternly, "so the sooner you realise this isn't a practical joke, the better it will be for all concerned."

Flynn just nodded, swallowing hard again, Clara almost but not quite feeling sorry for him. As she went ahead, Flynn was just about to follow when he thought he heard someone whisper his name, sounding suspiciously like Clara, but slightly more seductive. Suddenly, he was dragged in the direction of an ornate silver box, his hand moving at its own volition, reaching for the box's lid, making to lift it -

"Don't!" Clara screamed, leaping up and grabbing his ear like she had Ezekiel's. "That's Pandora's box!"

"I really shouldn't leave that lying around," Judson murmured as Clara hauled Flynn out of harm's way.

"No, you really shouldn't," Clara snapped.