The Christmas Wish

Christmas. That name, that sound, those memories. Some of the best I've ever had. But now, going to a foreign country for school as a 16-year-old shatters that into a million pieces. And now, my parents won't even allow me to come home for Christmas, for whatever reason. It's no help that all of the other kids at my boarding school have gone home for Christmas, as well as some of the teachers. The halls seem so empty and echoey. Granted, it was nice to have the school mostly to myself, but I still felt empty and given an unsatisfied heart. Even at this moment, as I walk alone past the bustling shops in the cold snowy night of Christmas Eve, I still felt that unrelenting tug for love. I barely got it from my teachers and less, or even none, from my own parents. It was as if sending me off to school was their way of telling me that they didn't want to deal with me in their household. So I must provide for myself now. Forget about being a teenager, I told myself. Nevertheless, I still shop for at least one gift for myself every year.

    Passing a warm shop, my foot pivoted toward the window front. There lay a display of a beautiful china set and a picture of a family eating happily together, enjoying every moment. How much I would give to have those moments again! A sniffle and quiet sob distracted my attention. I turned toward the sound and found two small children, a brother, and a sister, crying next to the window display. Taking one last glance at the picture, I concluded that if I couldn't have my own family to enjoy, I might as well help someone else out.

    I knelt to their level and smiled softly. "Hey. What's wrong?"

    The brother, who seemed a few years older than the sister, looked at me with his red, puffy eyes, continuously rubbing them. "I-It's u-us. W-we're lost." He said.

    My heart cried for them. "Okay. I can help you out if you want me to? Where do you live?" As the brother was about to answer, the little sister whispered something to him.

    "Do you remember what big brother said? 'Don't talk to strangers.' She's a stranger."

    He nodded and crossed his arms in front of his chest, trying to act tough and brave. "Our big bro doesn't want strangers to be around us. Especially ones who reach out to us."

    "Well, how are you gonna get help if you don't reach out for it? Look, your brother is right. You shouldn't talk to strangers. But hey. I'm here to help. You poor kids are lost, and I have a special quirk that can help get you two home." I booped his nose and earned a childish giggle as he unlocked his crossed arms.

    "Umm, okay. I guess it wouldn't hurt if you could help us." He concluded as we walked to the non-busy part of the street. "But what do we do? We don't know how to get home from here."

    "Well, that's where my quirk comes in. I can see your hearts. I can see your dreams, desires, and wishes. And if you wish really hard for that wish, I'll be able to make it come true!" I said, explaining with my hands.

    "Really!? Like a genie?!"

    "Yep!"

    The little girl came to me and tugged on my coat. "But what can that do to get us home?"

    I patted her on the head. "You two have to close your eyes, think about that wish to get home really hard, and then things will be revealed to me to make the wish come true."

    Both of them stood next to each other, holding each other's hands, eyes closed tightly. I shut my eyes then opened them, looking all about the town for their home, finding a small trailer home on the other side of the bridge. I sighed, realizing how far it was. I turned back to the kids and touched their shoulders.

    "Alrighty! I see your home. However, it's over that bridge there, so we'll have to walk. Come on. Let's get you two home." I said and they followed next to me as we walked.