Quatermain

Author's Note: This is the sequel to By The Sword. The reading order so far for all of my Flynn/Clara fiction is: Season 1 - And She Was Not An Adventure, Plato's Step-Daughter, A Christmas Clara, Sure As Sin, Once Upon A Dime, Reap The Whirlwind, Out Of The Darkness, And Into The Light, By The Sword and (Film Tie-In) - Fools & Sages. Each new Flynn/Clara story will include an updated reading order. Videos for characters canon and original, can be found on my Youtube channel via the link on my profile.

~*~

Quatermain

"I'm... I'm fading," Flynn said, turning to her, his voice becoming bizarrely high. "From the feet up," he added oddly, holding up his leg, everything below his ankle completely gone.

"Oh my God," Clara said, her hands flying to her mouth, "oh my God!"

"Keep it together, Clara," Jenkins ordered, snatching up a magnifying glass, his face paling despite himself.

"This is my fault, isn't it!?" Clara cried, the tears beginning to fall afresh, Flynn now running around like a headless chicken on non-existent feet. "I've undone my decision" -

- "I'm too dishy to disappear!" Flynn bewailed to the heavens. "Who's going to colour-code my cravat collection now!?"

"Do something," Clara sobbed, grabbing Jenkins's arm, "for God's sake, do something!"

Jenkins just slapped her across the face with the magnifying glass, which turned into a rubber fish at the last second, sending her sideways, before transforming into a bucket of water which Jenkins threw over Flynn, stopping him in his sopping tracks. "I always knew a magical magnifying glass would prove useful," Jenkins said in an undertone before setting it down on the table, "so useful I may invest in another one."

"Jenkins," Flynn said, his voice cracking, "what in the name of Long John's long johns is happening!?"

"You have everything and nothing to do with this," Jenkins fired at a still stunned Clara, "but it was his choice," he whirled on Flynn, the tails of his frock-coat flying, "and now he has to live with the consequences of that choice," he said, turning to Clara again.

"Even as it kills me!?" Flynn squeaked.

"No," Jenkins said, now pacing the floor, brow furrowing, "of course not. But in your alternate timeline, you chose not to attend that interview, disobeying a direct order from the Library I might add" -

- "Get to the point!" Clara screeched as Flynn started to fade further from view.

"The point is you dragged him out of his own timeline and into yours, wherein he died, the end – or almost anyways," Jenkins said, eying Flynn like he was from Mars.

Clara just gaped at Jenkins, resembling the rubber fish he had just slapped her with.

"You have everything and nothing to do with this," Jenkins fired at a still stunned Clara, "but it was your choice," he said, whirling on Flynn, the tails of his frock-coat flying, "and now he has to live with the consequences of that choice," he said, turning to Clara again.

"But the time she bought me is evidently running out," Flynn said acerbically, flexing his now see-through fingers.

"Which is why she has to go back and make sure you become the Librarian," Jenkins said, making for the back door, "and that you attend that damned interview!"