Chapter 54

We were on the porch of Ramshackle. Yuu was hesitant to open the door. I stood behind them with my hands folded behind my back. I wiggled my toes as my gaze wondered.

"I was scared," Yuu finally spoke up.

"Yuu?" I whispered.

Yuu turned around and their eyes were glossy. They hung their head and spoke to the rotten boards. "You weren't with Ace when we went to dinner. He wouldn't explain anything to me, just told me you'd be done soon. So, I trusted him and decided to wait. Not like I could call or text you to see when you'd be back." Yuu rubbed their neck and tucked their other hand under their armpit. Their voice warbled and I thought I caught some tears fall. "When it got dark, and you still weren't back I...I just started to get this pit in my stomach. I tried talking to Grim, but he's Grim, heh. Then I tried the ghosts, and they at least could tell me you were still alive, but...the dread didn't go away."

The tears fell consistently now. I held them by their shoulders and guided them to sit on the steps with me. "Oh Yuu, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you worry like this. I would have let you know if I could've. I wasn't expecting to stay out this late either."

I am going to rip Ace to shreds for not telling Yuu why I was held up! I promised myself.

"I- hic- decided to go out and find you. Grim was a-asleep- sniff. I was panicking, but..." Yuu looked me in the eyes. The dark circles under their eyes were bigger than usual. "W-when I...huu...when I saw you there pushing Floyd away from you my panic turned into this weird rage and and-hic!"

Yuu started to sob again. I hugged them tightly. I swayed back and forth to try and soothe them. "It's okay. You did what you thought was necessary. I'm happy that you are here to worry about me, and you should know I worry about you too." I pulled them back from me so I could look them in the eyes with a smile.

Yuu wiped their eyes. "I thought that Leech was trying to drag you into something, and it reminded me of when we were in the Coral Sea," Yuu's voice trailed off.

I sighed, "I chose to help in that situation. You bought me a custard roll for lunch that entire week to make up for it. That was enough of an apology." Yuu still didn't seem convinced. "I did make a teensy tiny deal with Floyd though."

"Vivienne Abiba, you did what?!"

"I just promised to give him a chance to be friends if he won the basketball scrimmage next week. Until then, I agreed to be cordial with him."

"Hnngh," Yuu groaned. "I know that you can make your own friends...but I don't like it. Or more precisely, him."

"I'm a tough girl, Yuu. If I get a whiff of something sketchy, I'll be running for the hills," I extravagantly said.

Yuu looked me in the eyes with a stern look to them. With a sigh, they leaned their head on my shoulder as they looked out to the dark courtyard. I rested my head on top of theirs, "Viv, no matter what happens with our current situation, we'll support each other through it. Right?"

"Most definitely." We sat there for a while, looking out in the night. I scrunched my face when I saw a few green lights resembling fireflies.

They shouldn't still be out at this time of year...what the-

"Uh, Yuu? Question."

"Yeah?"

"This Tsunotarou guy you talk to every now and then, does he have horns?"

"Yeah, why?"

"He's standing outside the gate surrounded by fireflies, staring at us."

Yuu lifted their head slightly to see. They waved and the horned figure waved back.

"You should come say hi Viv," Yuu suggested as they sat up.

"Nah," I shook my head. "Go have a chat. I'm gonna go to bed." I stood up and rustled Yuu's hair. I waved at Tsunotarou before heading into the dorm house.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stormed down the hall of Night Raven with a certain Heartslabyul student in my sights.

"ACE TRAPOLLA!!" I yelled.

Ace turned to look me in the eyes from down the hall. "Uh oh. What did I do?"

"I don't know," Deuce responded.

"GET YOUR BUTT OVER HERE SO I CAN WHOOP IT!"

"Whatdid I do?!" he asked again as started to run away. I gave chase and he boltedscreaming, "WHAT DID I DO?!!"

A/N: Hiya everybody! Thanks for reading thus far! It makes me so happy to see other people enjoying this story so far and reading the comments are the highlight of my week! School semester is starting to wrap up for me and holidays are coming up, ...

A/N: Hiya everybody! Thanks for reading thus far! It makes me so happy to see other people enjoying this story so far and reading the comments are the highlight of my week! School semester is starting to wrap up for me and holidays are coming up, so that is why this week has a shorter update. I tried to make up for it with the pictures XD. I will have to skip next week update (US Thanksgiving) and the updates on Dec 8th and 15th (finals week T^T). Again, thank you so much for reading. I hope you all have a wonderful day/evening where ever you are! - M.P. Furo