"Potions?"

"Potions?"

The words echoed all over the Hall as people wondered whether they had heard it right.

"Potions?" Cedric wondered out loud. "But who—"

"Professor Snape, meanwhile," Dumbledore said, raising his voice so that it carried over all the muttering, "will be taking over the position of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher."

"No!" June could hear Harry exclaim from the other side of the Hall.

"I can't believe it," Cedric sighed. "Snape gets his way after all."

"What's the fuss about?" Alaska questioned, looking rather confused.

Cedric shuffled closer to her and quickly explained her what the fuss was about.

"Ah," was all she said once he was finished. "I see."

Dumbledore cleared his throat. June, Cedric and Alaska were not the only ones who had been talking; the whole Hall had erupted in a buzz of conversation at the news that Severus had finally achieved his heart's desire. Seemingly oblivious to the sensational nature of the news he had just imparted, Dumbledore said nothing more about staff appointments, but waited a few seconds to ensure that silence was absolute before continuing.

"Now, as everybody in this Hall knows, Lord Voldemort and his followers are once more at large and gaining in strength."

The silence seemed to tauten and strain as Dumbledore spoke.

Juniper couldn't help but to glance at Draco. He was not looking at Dumbledore, but making his fork hover in midair with his wand, as though he found the Headmaster's words unworthy of his attention.

"I cannot emphasis strongly enough how dangerous the present situation is, and how much care each of us at Hogwarts must take to ensure that we remain safe. The castle's magical fortifictions have been strengthened over the summer, we are protected in new and more powerful ways, but we must still guard scrupulously against carelessness on the part of any student or member of staff. I urge you, therefore, to abide by any security restrictions that your teachers might impose upon you, however irksome you might find them—in particular, the rule that you are not to be out of bed after hours. I implore you, should you notice anything strange or suspicious within or outside the castle, to report it to a member of staff or the Aurors immediately. I trust you to conduct yourselves, always, with the uttermost regard for your own and each other's safety."

Dumbledore's blue eyes swept over the students before he smiled once more.

"But now, your beds await, as warm and comfortable as you could possibly wish, and I know that your top priority is to be well-rested for your lessons tomorrow. Let us therefore say goodnight. Pip pip!"

With the usual deafening scraping noise, the benches were moved back and the hundreds of students began to file out of the Great Hall
towards their dormitories.

June, Cedric and Alaska moved to the side to let them pass and received many curious gazes.

"June," Harry said, pulling at her sleeve as he dragged her with him. "I need to tell you something."

"What's wrong?" June said, as they headed into an empty classroom.

"It's Malfoy," Harry said bluntly, "he's working for Voldemort now. I overheard him talking in the Hogwarts Express. He's not planning on coming back next year."

It was as if someone had hit June right in the face. Perplexed, she stood frozen, processing what Harry had just told her. This couldn't be happening. Not Draco.