⤷ 20| THE SNEAK

chapter twenty : the sneak

☆ ☆ ☆

Umbridge's pure shock made Juniper's week, no month, much better. However, as a dull March blurred into a squally April, her life seemed to have become one long series of worries and problems again. Their last Quidditch match against Ravenclaw was coming up and it would be June's last chance to win the Quidditch Cup.

On top of that, she still had to prepare DA classes. They had finally started work on Patronuses, which everybody had been very keen to practice, though, as Harry and June kept reminding them, producing a Patronus in the middle of a brightly lit classroom when they were not under threat was very different from producing it when confronted by something like a Dementor.

"Oh, don't be such a killjoy," Cho said brightly, watching her silvery swan-shaped Patronus soar around the Room of Requirement during their last lesson befor Easter. "They're so pretty!"

"They're not supposed to be pretty, they're supposed to protect you," Harry said patiently, while June just rolled her eyes. "What we really need is a Boggart or something; that's how I learned, I had to conjure a Patronus while the Boggart was prentending to be a Dementor —"

"But that would be really scary!" Lavender said, who was shooting puffs of silver vapor out of the end of her wand. "And I still — can't — do — it!" she added angrily.

Neville was having trouble, too. His face was screwed up in concentration, but only feeble wisps of silver smoke issued from his wand-tip.

"You've got to think of something happy," June gently reminded him. "I'm positive you can do it, Nev!"

"I'm trying," Neville said miserably, who was trying so hard his round face was actually shining with sweat.

"Harry, June, I think I'm doing it!" Seamus yelled, who had been brought along to his first every DA meeting by Dean. "Look — ah — it's gone . . . but it was definitely something hairy!"

Hermione's Patronus, a shining silver otter, was gamboling around her.

"They are sort of nice, aren't they?" she said, looking at it fondly.

The door of the Room of Requirement opened, and closed. Harry and June looked around to see who had entered, but there did not seem to be anybody there. It was a few moments before June realised that the people close to the door had fallen silent. Next thing she knew, something was tugging at Harry's robes. The two cousins looked down and saw Dobby peering up at them.

"Hi, Dobby!" Harry said. "What are you — What's wrong?"

The elf's eyes were wide with terror and he was shaking. The members of the DA closest to Harry and June had fallen silent; everybody in the room was watching Dobby. The few Patronuses people had managed to conjure faded away into silver mist, leaving the room looking much darker than before.